Uranium enrichment is weird

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Ubertwink
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Uranium enrichment is weird

Post by Ubertwink »

Currently, you have to grab the output items grom the centrifuge and then put them back in.
I think the products should be put back into ingredients slot, unless there is enough there to start a new enrichment cycle. In that case, the remainder is left in the output slot.

Nemoricus
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Uranium enrichment is weird

Post by Nemoricus »

I'm of two minds on this one. On the one hand, the need to feed back the products of the enrichment process to keep it running is an excellent reason to make use of circuit network logic, and introduces an interesting level of complexity.

On the other hand, this makes nuclear power much more difficult to use, since you have to balance enrichment with mining already and this adds a layer of complexity that people may find annoying to deal with. Since the net recipe is 3 U238 to 1 U235, it would be much easier to simply require 40 U235 and 2 U35 as part of the recipe to make an enrichment centrifuge to begin with. However, that would involve adding another entity.

Perhaps there could be a new type of recipe that consumes a fixed amount of resources when the first cycle runs, and then only requires a small amount of resources for each additional cycle?

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Could add a "catalyst" list to recipes, which must be present, but do not get consumed. Anything from molds to actual catalysts would use it.
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

This accurately simulates the inefficiency of centrifuges. You need to move a large amount of low-grade Uranium-235 to obtain a small amount of pure Uranium-235.

In real life there are hundreds of enrichment steps as your sample increases from 0.7% to 100% Uranium-235. You should be happy we don't have to track all those intermediate products. :)
Last edited by DaveMcW on Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neemys
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Neemys »

Ubertwink wrote:Currently, you have to grab the output items grom the centrifuge and then put them back in.
I think the products should be put back into ingredients slot, unless there is enough there to start a new enrichment cycle. In that case, the remainder is left in the output slot.
What if people just wanted 1 craft and take all result elsewhere ? By making the step with inserter, people are free to put back in everything or part of it as they like.
Want more space restriction ? Or maybe you want to be forced to use train for other thing than ore and oil ? Try Building Platform Mod !

Nemoricus
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nemoricus »

More seriously, the current version of enrichment interacts oddly with productivity modules, as can be seen here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=44635

Since this is likely unintended behavior, I think that a different recipe model is needed. The catalyst model is perhaps the simplest way to do this, at least conceptually.
Neemys wrote:
Ubertwink wrote:Currently, you have to grab the output items grom the centrifuge and then put them back in.
What if people just wanted 1 craft and take all result elsewhere ? By making the step with inserter, people are free to put back in everything or part of it as they like.
This is Factorio. Why would you ever only want one craft? ;)

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

The empty oil barrel recipe works oddly with productivity modules too. The solution is to disable productivity modules. :P

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

DaveMcW wrote:The empty oil barrel recipe works oddly with productivity modules too. The solution is to disable productivity modules. :P
There is a reason why productivity modules are disabled for emptying oil barrels.

Unless, I suppose they forgot to add that part in. Thing is, its a white list allowing Productivity modules, so by default it should have been disabled.

A catalyst using recipe would ignore the catalyst when it comes to productivity modules, so that issue would certainly go away.
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Ubertwink
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Ubertwink »

Neemys wrote:What if people just wanted 1 craft and take all result elsewhere ? By making the step with inserter, people are free to put back in everything or part of it as they like.
If you want to do one enrichment cycle, you can as well track it by yourself.
Even if you miss it, all you lose is a few lumps of U-238, to make some extra U-235. That's not even a loss tbh.

Neemys
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Neemys »

Ubertwink wrote:
Neemys wrote:What if people just wanted 1 craft and take all result elsewhere ? By making the step with inserter, people are free to put back in everything or part of it as they like.
If you want to do one enrichment cycle, you can as well track it by yourself.
Even if you miss it, all you lose is a few lumps of U-238, to make some extra U-235. That's not even a loss tbh.
That one was an example, my point being not everyone need all result being put in the ingredient slot everytime. So it's not a good idea to force that. Remember that you can't take from ingredient slot with inserter.
Want more space restriction ? Or maybe you want to be forced to use train for other thing than ore and oil ? Try Building Platform Mod !

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Catalyst ingredients would stay in the input side, while the rest would go to the output.
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

AileTheAlien
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AileTheAlien »

Personally, I feel like how the enrichment acts fits into the same mental model as burner miners on a coal patch. That is to say, that they produce a resource which goes onto a conveyor belt, which can then be fed back into them by an inserter. So, my vote is to keep the inserter-ness of enrichment as it is right now. :)

As for the productivity modules, I think that's a pretty easy decision too - they should be disabled for the enrichment recipe (and maybe some others too), just like oil barrels. Basically, any recipe or set of recipes, which would allow for infinite resources. :)

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by impetus maximus »

productivity modules are now disabled for uranium enrichment in 0.15.2

i'm working on using combinators to limit the 235 to 40 being fed back into the centrifuge.
it's not going well. :x

Marqee
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Marqee »

Took a while to reach the 41 needed to start the process, but then nearly all the U-238 was enriched.
i had to cut a piece of belt to make it stack again.

Tekky
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Tekky »

impetus maximus wrote:i'm working on using combinators to limit the 235 to 40 being fed back into the centrifuge.
it's not going well. :x
It didn't go well with me, either. By the time I had finally managed to create a working combinator setup which does this, I didn't need it anymore, because most of my uranium 238 had already been upgraded to 235. :)

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

person3triple0 AKA Adorin (youtube) came up with a clever 0 combinator circuit.
i tweaked the layout a bit, and controlled the 238U going back in, but all credit for the clever bits of the closed loop of 235U goes to person3triple0.

feed this 40 235U directly into the centrifuge (and 238U of course), it will process it, dump 41 235U into a crate, take 1 out, load 40 back in.
it's a thing of beauty. it will keep spitting out 235U as long as you feed it 238U.
Adorin.improved.IV.png
Adorin.improved.IV.png (202.3 KiB) Viewed 6359 times
blueprint string
i was trying to chain them, but after realizing it can supply enough to stress test my 463MW of reactor power @100% why bother? :lol:

undarl
Inserter
Inserter

Post by undarl »

impetus maximus wrote:person3triple0 AKA Adorin (youtube) came up with a clever 0 combinator circuit.
i tweaked the layout a bit, and controlled the 238U going back in, but all credit for the clever bits of the closed loop of 235U goes to person3triple0.
This is a thing of beauty! Thanks to Adorin for creating it and to you for sharing it. I've been trying to wrap my head around that very problem for several days now. :)

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

undarl wrote: This is a thing of beauty! Thanks to Adorin for creating it and to you for sharing it. I've been trying to wrap my head around that very problem for several days now. :)
my pleasure. i got such a stress headache trying all day to do that. really wanted to come up with something on my own, but oh well. :)

Kelderek
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kelderek »

impetus maximus wrote:person3triple0 AKA Adorin (youtube) came up with a clever 0 combinator circuit.

feed this 40 235U directly into the centrifuge (and 238U of course), it will process it, dump 41 235U into a crate, take 1 out, load 40 back in.
it's a thing of beauty. it will keep spitting out 235U as long as you feed it 238U.
Adorin.improved.IV.png
blueprint string
i was trying to chain them, but after realizing it can supply enough to stress test my 463MW of reactor power @100% why bother? :lol:
Wow, this is weird, I came up with almost that exact same design for my base yesterday. Same idea with 3 boxes, take 1 out and move the other 40, I just ran my belts differently. I did chain a bunch together, about 7 centrifuges I think and I am now sitting on about 2200 units of U235 now :) That is in addition to 8 centrifuges processing the raw ore. It is worth chaining them to get this kind of stockpile, not for the reactors, but for atomic bombs instead. I'm researching that right now and they will take 30 units each. I'm a strong believer in overkill, lol.

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

oh, nukes right. lol yeah i guess if you're trigger happy more than one going would work.
does your chain limit to 40 going in each machine, or do the internal buffers fill up?

Return to “General discussion”