How to change Factorio's save and mods directory?

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Best_Pony
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

How to change Factorio's save and mods directory?

Post by Best_Pony »

I'm using Windows and I'm trying to move my Steam Factorio saves and mods to a different folder that isn't C but E.

I tried all 3 steps in the following thread and nothing worked. Factorio is still reading the Factorio folder in C without the mods I installed or creating a new one when I cut and paste it into E.
viewtopic.php?t=57610

What I did:

1. I created a copy of my Factorio folder from C to E. I also tried cutting the folder but this didn't work.

2. I created config-path.cfg (this file was not present before) in both the Roaming folder and Destination folder with

Code: Select all

config-path=E:\Games\Factorio\config
3. I changed config.ini in both C and E to the following

Code: Select all

; version=9
; This is INI file : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/INI_file#Format 
; Semicolons (;) at the beginning of the line indicate a comment. Comment lines are ignored.
[path]
read-data=E:\Games\Factorio\
write-data=E:\Games\Factorio\
I also tried reverting read-data back to the original read-data=__PATH__system-read-data__ but this did not work.

4. I added --config=E:\Games\Factorio\config\config.ini in Steam as Factorio's launch properties

However, all these steps don't do anything. I don't want to create a symlink either since my C drive is an SSD and I don't want to keep reading it.

Any help on getting Factorio to read from E:\ instead of C?

It would really help me if someone provided an example of their config file and commands that allowed them to change the save directory!

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: How to change Factorio's save and mods directory?

Post by eradicator »

Not sure if this is nessecary but in my config.ini the read/write path uses "/" slash not "\" backslash (on Windows). Otherwise it's basically as you describe: Start with "--config X:\path\to\config.ini" (no "=" equals) and "--mod-directory X:\path\to\mods". And specify the read/write directories within config.ini. Also if you want to keep using your steam install then you must *not* change the read-data entry. If you don't care about steam you could also just download the standalone zip version from the main page and unpack that to E: (no installation needed).
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Return to “Technical Help”