Keyboard Issues on Linux

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
DeliveratorNA
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Keyboard Issues on Linux

Post by DeliveratorNA »

At first I thought this was an xkbmap issue. Last time I played Factorio (and actually every time I've played it prior to now, though I haven't since spider bot) ctrl-click worked just fine to yoink things from a furnace. I use xkb modmap to make my CAPSLOCK key a second left-ctrl. I thought this was the reason this keybind wasn't working, out of nowhere. However, the *actual* left-ctrl was also not working. Attempting to rebind the keybind for that action resulted in "this keybind must involve the mouse". Doing the same with *right* ctrl, however, worked just fine, and so did the keybind itself. As a right-handed person, having to reach across the keyboard for this action kiiiiinda makes the game unplayable for me at the moment.

I have selected no beta.

I will provide any additional relevant information on request.

quyxkh
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Keyboard Issues on Linux

Post by quyxkh »

I worked around it by mapping the real lctrl as the "hyper" mod, so long as there's only one physical key for each modifier bit the game works. Why this is so hard to handle in Factorio's engine but not for anything else on the planet, I have no idea.

DeliveratorNA
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by DeliveratorNA »

Why this is so hard to handle in Factorio's engine but not for anything else on the planet, I have no idea.
The thing is, last I played (a year or two ago? somewhere around 1.0 RC but before 1.0 was out) it worked just fine.

DeliveratorNA
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by DeliveratorNA »

Just noting: revisting this now, this is still a breaking issue. I really don't want t reach all the way to left-ctrl if I don't have to, and that really does stop me playing this! I want to play more Factorio but I don't want to exacerbate the hand/finger/wrist issues I'm already dealing with by ctrl-clicking every inventory I want to hoover from.

Return to “Technical Help”