(SOLVED) game freezes every few mins.. I tried everything in "Solving common graphic issue"s

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
jbplays
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

(SOLVED) game freezes every few mins.. I tried everything in "Solving common graphic issue"s

Post by jbplays »

I have tried everything in the post "Solving common graphic issues" I still get the game freezing for about a few secs every few minutes maybe half a min to a full min.. I have a 2070 RTX with Max Q design. I wish there was an option to reduce the res in game without me needing to resize my desktop all the time when I want to play this vs playing something else, but besides that. idk whats going on. I can send you the config data and I guess a screen shot of the debug info for the GPU usage/time thing

I provided pics of the debug screen and tried to get them when the freeze happens
also have the config settings with all the suggestions from "Solving common graphic issues"
Attachments
time usage.png
time usage.png (3.33 MiB) Viewed 5196 times
detailed info.png
detailed info.png (3.52 MiB) Viewed 5196 times
this is the debug GPU Time Usage
this is the debug GPU Time Usage
graphic issue.png (3.77 MiB) Viewed 5196 times
config.ini
with all the suggested settings in the forum post
(27.64 KiB) Downloaded 65 times
Last edited by jbplays on Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: game freezes every few mins.. I tried everything in "Solving common graphic issue"s

Post by Loewchen »

Post your log file after a session with the issue.

jbplays
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: game freezes every few mins.. I tried everything in "Solving common graphic issue"s

Post by jbplays »

ok these should be it
Attachments
factorio-perf-10130_20210329-005234_D3D11_i7-10750H@2.60~16GB~RTX_2070_with_Max-Q_Design~8031MB.csv
idk if this will be needed, but its from an earlier session today
(9.69 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
factorio-current.log
(7.31 KiB) Downloaded 72 times

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

Based on the render times there was not a single instance where you should have missed more than 1 frame, which you would hardly notice at all.
First thing would be to to check if after returning all settings back to default for your system (should be all maxed) and fullscreen and without other graphic intensive programs running the issue persists.

jbplays
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by jbplays »

yeah still happens, but it's like every 5-6 mins.. the only things I have open is chrome (for this thread). I was watching streams, but normally reduce them to 160p if I am playing than actively watching. as far as I can tell idk what else would cause the freezing.. and it's only for a sec or 2 at most, but its how frequent its happening and it doesn't matter if I am zoomed out all the way or zoomed in all the way. the frames drop to like 14 and so does the ups... its strange.. I don

jbplays
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by jbplays »

I'm trying something that might be casuing it, but not 100% sure... I have the game installed on my external harddrive (Black WD 4TB) and moving it to my 1TB SSD on the laptop its self

jbplays
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by jbplays »

conclusion so far is that my WD Black 4TB external hard drive with 140mb/s squared is not fast enough to load factorio without it freezing every 5-6 mins for a couple of secs

JagerBom
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: (SOLVED) game freezes every few mins.. I tried everything in "Solving common graphic issue"s

Post by JagerBom »

I have same issue as you. Each 5-6 minutes or so my game freezes for 1 sec or 2 and when i look into task manager i see a pike of 100% on the hard disk. I don't know if it is disk related or not. Didn't test it out yet to put on a ssd.
Alreaddy put the HDD on no sleep in power options settings.
pic

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: (SOLVED) game freezes every few mins.. I tried everything in "Solving common graphic issue"s

Post by Loewchen »

JagerBom wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:47 pm
I have same issue as you.
Is this on steam as well? I'd try if the issue persists with the .zip install.

JagerBom
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by JagerBom »

Loewchen wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:05 pm
JagerBom wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:47 pm
I have same issue as you.
Is this on steam as well? I'd try if the issue persists with the .zip install.
Hello yes, i have the game on steam as well. maybe i can add some specs of my computer:
  • processor: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core Processor 3.80 GHz
  • System model: Aorus master x570
  • ram: 32gb ddr4
  • disk c: Corsair Force MP600 M.2 NVMe SSD
  • disk d: wdc wd10jpcx-24ue4t0
  • GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT
I use the HDD (d drive) as game drive. I have no issues with playing gta far cry or other games but when i play factorio i have some freezes like i said each 5-6 min for 1-2 seconds. the screenshot i took was just after a freeze and i heard i HDD like starting up again.
I don't know if it is becasue it's a rather old HDD but in good condition ! (checked it with crystaleye) and HDD cannot load objects fast enough? of another issue. still investigating

san
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by san »

to me, it sounds like it is the autosave feature. to confirm you can increase the interval in the settings (disable as well) and check if the behaviour changes. Usually there should be a progress bar as well while saving. It seems the save file got big enough so you start to notice it.

JagerBom
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by JagerBom »

san wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:20 pm
to me, it sounds like it is the autosave feature. to confirm you can increase the interval in the settings (disable as well) and check if the behaviour changes. Usually there should be a progress bar as well while saving. It seems the save file got big enough so you start to notice it.
Hello, i have set autosave on 15 min, and indeed there is a progressbar. here in my case it's each 5-6 minutes and there is no progressbar. When saving, it loads, but the game isn't stuck as when i have that pike.
I tried indeed to move the game to my ssd, and after walking around for about 10 min, no freezes. So i guess indeed like said above it's HDD that is not fast enough i guess. Weird thing is that big games (like gta , far cry, watch dogs) i have no issues. So i don't know it is becasue factorio has lots of entities or that game is not optimisez correctly or ...?

san
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by san »

if the amazon tech specs for your hdd is correct, it's a 5400 rpm drive, which are on the slow side as far as hdds are concerned. i run factorio on my hdd (it's 7200rpm though) just fine and have the save file on my ssd. there is just one more idea which you can check in the advancecd settings from the power options and check if "turn off hard disks after x minutes" is active if it is that might be reason as a HDD needs some time to spin up again. you might want to disable that or leave it on the ssd.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Just for reference I tested my standalone factorio installation from an external hdd and I could see no problems during the 10 mins I tested. Though as read operations should be handled by disk cache in ram that might not really mean much.
JagerBom wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:10 pm
the screenshot i took was just after a freeze and i heard i HDD like starting up again.
If you can really hear it spinning up during every freeze that's the issue. Getting a resonse from a spun-down HDD can easily take several seconds. From experience I also know that external 2.5" USB cases tend to a) ignore system settings for drive sleep and b) have extremely aggressive sleep settings. So I wouldn't be suprised if your disk spins down after <5 mins just to be woken up again right away. If other games you play place a constant load on the disk that would also explain why they don't have those problems. Easiest way to test is to place an artificial constant load on the drive while you're playing factorio. I.e. by playing back a sound/video file from the drive.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

JagerBom
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by JagerBom »

eradicator wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:12 am
Just for reference I tested my standalone factorio installation from an external hdd and I could see no problems during the 10 mins I tested. Though as read operations should be handled by disk cache in ram that might not really mean much.
JagerBom wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:10 pm
the screenshot i took was just after a freeze and i heard i HDD like starting up again.
If you can really hear it spinning up during every freeze that's the issue. Getting a resonse from a spun-down HDD can easily take several seconds. From experience I also know that external 2.5" USB cases tend to a) ignore system settings for drive sleep and b) have extremely aggressive sleep settings. So I wouldn't be suprised if your disk spins down after <5 mins just to be woken up again right away. If other games you play place a constant load on the disk that would also explain why they don't have those problems. Easiest way to test is to place an artificial constant load on the drive while you're playing factorio. I.e. by playing back a sound/video file from the drive.
My disk is a internal sata disk but only with 5200rpm. i indeed already have the option disable HDD set to 0 in power options and set to performance. Maybe becasue it'sa laptop drive the drive has some sleepsettings
But yes i could test to have a song constantly on from the HDD, it would be funny but weird fix :')

Return to “Technical Help”