[1.1.26] Pollution cloud barely visible on minimap or regular map

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
zakman
Inserter
Inserter

[1.1.26] Pollution cloud barely visible on minimap or regular map

Post by zakman »

Wondering if you all can suggest anything for a problem I seem to be having with a particular game - I don't think it's a bug per se, but likely an internal setting that got changed somehow that I just can't pin down.

Have been playing this particular map since about 0.12, importing it from version to version over time (what can I say, I like this base.) Since late 0.17 or so, the red pollution clouds haven't been visible on either the main map or the minimap, even with the pollution overlay turned on. At best, there is a very, very faint haze that is almost invisible. This is a 250-ish SPM base - no megabase, true, but even so, it should be generating a ton of pollution.

My first thought was that a mod had done something (I have 20+ installed), yet after disabling all mods and letting the game run for a bit, still no clouds. I hit F4 and checked the settings in there just to confirm that yes, the base is indeed generating pollution - and it most definitely is. Graphics settings look fine, too - no "Hide Pollution Overlay" checkbox that I can see - and most everything is enabled.

Any suggestions? I am open to try just about anything, including console commands. Thanks!

SoShootMe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [1.1.26] Pollution cloud barely visible on minimap or regular map

Post by SoShootMe »

Your description suggests pollution is being shown (ie not a graphical issue), but there is not very much to show. If a mod has changed pollution settings, I think the change would remain even if you subsequently disabled the mod.

You can check the pollution settings defined in data/base/prototypes/map-settings.lua with a console command such as:

Code: Select all

/c game.player.print(game.map_settings.pollution.ageing)
You can also change the settings using the console, eg:

/c game.map_settings.pollution.ageing = 1
If that doesn't reveal an explanation, I think posting both a screenshot showing the "very, very faint haze" and the save would be the best bet for further help.

zakman
Inserter
Inserter

Post by zakman »

EDIT: Ran the following command:

/c game.player.print(game.map_settings.pollution.ageing)
It was currently at 0.75, so I reset it to 1.0 (the initial value when I started a new map). This was done prior to starting the research mentioned below.

-----

Screenshots attached, will upload the save later on tonight. In these shots, base has been researching for about 30 minutes or so.

1. Base w/pollution not visible.
pollution_off.jpg
pollution_off.jpg (539.29 KiB) Viewed 1563 times
2. Base with pollution visible. As you can see, only a slight, slight difference.
pollution_on.jpg
pollution_on.jpg (539.49 KiB) Viewed 1563 times
3. "show polluted chunks" on in F4 menu, just to verify.
polluted_chunks.jpg
polluted_chunks.jpg (644.99 KiB) Viewed 1563 times
4. "show pollution values" on, zoomed in to see numbers clearly.
pollution_values.jpg
pollution_values.jpg (508.97 KiB) Viewed 1563 times

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

500 should produce decent red shade over everything.
Are you using mods changing pollution visibility?

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

You could check the value of expected_max_per_chunk and min_to_show_per_chunk in game.map_settings.pollution (should be 150 and 50). I recall that these were changed at some point between 0.12 and now, and maybe the migration went wrong.
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

zakman
Inserter
Inserter

Post by zakman »

Bilka wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:29 am
You could check the value of expected_max_per_chunk and min_to_show_per_chunk in game.map_settings.pollution (should be 150 and 50). I recall that these were changed at some point between 0.12 and now, and maybe the migration went wrong.
Bingo! expected_max_per_chunk was set at 6000 for some reason. Set it back to 150 and presto, pollution cloud again. Thanks!

Return to “Technical Help”