[1.1.21] Headless upgrade 1.1.19 -> 1.1.21 fails on map version

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Zeus
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[1.1.21] Headless upgrade 1.1.19 -> 1.1.21 fails on map version

Post by Zeus »

I tried to upgrade my mega Factorio 1.1.19 headless linux server to 1.1.21 but it does not start.

startup.log:
0.736 Error ServerMultiplayerManager.cpp:91: MultiplayerManager failed: "Map version 0.17.79-0 cannot be loaded because it is lower than the minimum input version (0.18.0-0)."
I also tried upgrading to 1.1.20, but same problem.

Update history:
Created server 0.17.79
Upgraded to 1.0.0
Upgraded to 1.1.19
Upgraded to 1.1.21 #failed
(after each upgrade the game has been played extensively)

How should this be fixed?

Solution:

remove old maps from the /saves directory if your server starts with --start-server-load-latest.

My server is configured to uses autosave and the server is started with the --start-server-load-latest option. This results in an auto save every 5 minutes and will create several files who's name start with _autosave. When the server start, it will take automatically the most resent saved map file. But before the autosave was configured there was also a map file, it is still in the directory as it is not automatically removed. That file is only used the first time when the server start, it will never be used again, as it is the oldest file and will never be overwritten. So far no problem. But apparently the Factorio server does not use file timestamps to see what file to load, Factorio is checking each file before starting and that's a problem, as from 1.1.20 it no longer is able to read the file formats older than 0.18.0. Solution, remove those old files from the /saves directory.
Last edited by Zeus on Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:21 pm, edited 5 times in total.

NotRexButCaesar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Headless upgrade 1.1.19 -> 1.1.21 fails on map version

Post by NotRexButCaesar »

Did you try saving in 1.0, then upgrading to 1.1?
—Crevez, chiens, si vous n'étes pas contents!

Zeus
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Zeus »

Yes I did. My upgrade path was:

Created server 0.17.79
Upgraded to 1.0.0
Upgraded to 1.1.19
Upgraded to 1.1.21 #failed

NotRexButCaesar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by NotRexButCaesar »

Are you sure you saved every time and have the correct save selected?
—Crevez, chiens, si vous n'étes pas contents!

Zeus
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Zeus »

Yes, I played the game extensively in each version ...

What do you mean by having the correct save selected? I just copy the "saves" directory to the new version....

Zeus
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [1.1.21] Headless upgrade 1.1.19 -> 1.1.21 fails on map version

Post by Zeus »

Found the problem.

In the /saves directory there was still the original map used when I started the server. From then the server used the _autosave files. But apparently the server will scan all maps in the saves directory and will have a problem parsing this old map format, even though he is not using the map after starting as he is configured to always take the latest map....

BUG REPORT
I consider this a bug in the upgrade process of Factorio. If Factorio wants to scan all files in the /saves directory it should also update all maps in the /saves directory when it detects old versions.

Return to “Technical Help”