Performance Help

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Hraki
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Performance Help

Post by Hraki »

Hi,

I have some strange low performance I load the game some says ago I have performance with 60/60 for some minutes but drops and never goes up again.

I am playing with single player and no mods.

I have maybe 5000 robots and 1000 construction robots in all outposts and main base.

Around 130 or 150 trains I am not sure

Game with stats
https://ibb.co/ZSSfXWK

My task manager

https://ibb.co/2WfDQf9

I have GPU and CPU but the game don't use it. Can you help ?

Silari
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Performance Help

Post by Silari »

Factorio is mostly single-threaded, so it's not going to use all of your CPU - generally you'll peg run core at 100% and that's it, and Task Manager seems to be affirming that. It also isn't drawing billions of polygons, so your GPU load is also generally going to stay fairly low as there isn't much for it to do. FPS also can't be higher than UPS, so it has even less to do since you're only at 25 instead of 60.

Entity update is taking over twice as long as the game has to do everything in order to maintain 60 UPS/FPS - 38ms vs 16.67ms. Pretty sure the answer here is simply your base is too big to run at full speed. You can look around for guides on how to optimize stuff and maybe get it going a little faster, but make sure they're fairly recent as old guides are going to have incorrect info - games been optimized multiple times in many ways.

Hraki
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Performance Help

Post by Hraki »

Silari wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:54 am
Factorio is mostly single-threaded, so it's not going to use all of your CPU - generally you'll peg run core at 100% and that's it, and Task Manager seems to be affirming that. It also isn't drawing billions of polygons, so your GPU load is also generally going to stay fairly low as there isn't much for it to do. FPS also can't be higher than UPS, so it has even less to do since you're only at 25 instead of 60.

Entity update is taking over twice as long as the game has to do everything in order to maintain 60 UPS/FPS - 38ms vs 16.67ms. Pretty sure the answer here is simply your base is too big to run at full speed. You can look around for guides on how to optimize stuff and maybe get it going a little faster, but make sure they're fairly recent as old guides are going to have incorrect info - games been optimized multiple times in many ways.
Thanks for the help. but no make sense don´t user more core if the machine have it, is my opinion of course :)

Return to “Technical Help”