[SOLVED] Different mod folders in Steam

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
DRY411S
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[SOLVED] Different mod folders in Steam

Post by DRY411S »

Whatever I try, I cannot get Steam to use a different --mod-directory folder.

Can anybody point me at a HOWTO that works?

Shortcuts like this:

Code: Select all

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Factorio\bin\x64\factorio.exe" --mod-directory "%APPDATA%\Roaming\Factorio\steammods"
and

Code: Select all

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steam.exe" -applaunch 427520 --mod-directory "%APPDATA%\Roaming\Factorio\steammods"
Don't work for me. The game cannot see the mods in that 'steammods' folder that I have manually put there.
If I start up the game, using either of the above shortcuts and then install mods in the game GUI, then the mods are usable in the game, but they still are not in that folder, and I cannot find them anywhere on the PC.

The default mods folder has many mods in it. If I start the game in Steam, the regular way, the mods in that folder are present. Any that are installed using one of the above shortcuts are NOT put in that default folder, so the --mod-directory argument is being handled somehow, but not in the way I expect.

This has me completely baffled.

DRY411S
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [SOLVED] Different mod folders in Steam

Post by DRY411S »

Turns out, %APPDATA% doesn't parse and I had to resolve it myself. There was a folder created called %APPDATA%\Roaming\Factorio\steammods at the root of the C: drive. I didn't think that it was possible to have a folder name that began and ended with '%'.

Return to “Technical Help”