[1.1.5] Ctrl+V does not paste blueprint string

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
ShootHostage
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[1.1.5] Ctrl+V does not paste blueprint string

Post by ShootHostage »

So I first encounter this when trying to past a blueprint in the blueprint import window.

-Won't work in game (Ctrl+c works, but not Ctrl+v)
-Won't work in the import window

My input setting are the one by default and although my keyboard layout is not standard US (still Qwerty, just a other language), but even when using the US standard layout and resetting the game, Ctrl+v do not work.

https://imgur.com/mjnzDVl
I do nothing, but playing Factorio

ShootHostage
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [1.1.5] Ctrl+V does not paste blueprint

Post by ShootHostage »

If anyone has a work around for me in the meantime to import blueprint, it would be reeeal helpful.

picklock
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [1.1.5] Ctrl+V does not paste blueprint string

Post by picklock »

For me Ctrl+v works fine in V1.1.5. Have you checked if there is a mod that uses Ctrl+v as key binding?

Have you tried to set anothewr key binding for paste n the tool section of controls?
My Mods: Picklocks Fusion Power | Picklocks Inserter | Picklocks Lithium Polymer Accumulator | Picklocks rocket silo stats | Picklocks Set Inventory Filters

Squelch
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Squelch »

Which operating system are you using?

ShootHostage
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ShootHostage »

I'm using Window 10, I did try to change de paste keybind, the problem is that is the blueprint import windows, it does not use the factorio keybind, it's just a standard copy/paste text windows, and therefor uses normal window shortcut. So yea, I'm pretty confused by this behavior. Oh and my factorio is mod free.

robot256
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by robot256 »

Right, the game control setting are for the blueprint selection cut/copy/paste tools, not text boxes.

Have you tried alt-tabbing and pasting into Notepad right after it doesn't paste in Factorio, to make sure the text you want is really on the Windows clipboard? I am frequently frustrated by my control key and find things don't copy what I expect.

ShootHostage
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ShootHostage »

I did, and the clipboard is properly loaded, I also tried to Ctrl+v using a keyboard macro and it still do not work. I find it strange that the only option the paste is using a shortcut, I paste button would be nice.

robot256
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by robot256 »

That's a good suggestion for the devs. It works fine for me as well so I don't know what's going on for you. When you ctrl-v and it doesn't paste, can you still type characters in the text box?

ShootHostage
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ShootHostage »

Yea the text window still behave normally, I just can't paste into it :(

ShootHostage
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ShootHostage »

Strangely, Ctrl+c and Ctrl+x still work???

Squelch
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Squelch »

ShootHostage wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:35 pm
I'm using Window 10, I did try to change de paste keybind, the problem is that is the blueprint import windows, it does not use the factorio keybind, it's just a standard copy/paste text windows, and therefor uses normal window shortcut. So yea, I'm pretty confused by this behavior. Oh and my factorio is mod free.
Thanks, that helps to isolate the problem you have.

Have you used the forum "copy Blueprint" button? I've just discovered that it does not seem to be working, and nothing is loaded into the clipboard when pressed. This is confirmed by attempting to paste into a text editor, and BPs from another source are working correctly in game. Try this source for example https://factorioprints.com/view/-MNPUnnu-U0SB6EC5E_4

TLDR: This appears to be a forum bug. Can you confirm?

ShootHostage
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ShootHostage »

Yea I did try that, and it does paste in the notepad! But it still won't paste in game :(

Squelch
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Squelch »

Sorry, which have you tried?

The forum "copy Blueprint" button is not working for me, but using the BP in the link I gave is working. If the FactorioPrints link is still not working for you, then I apologise, and will report the forum bug separately.

ShootHostage
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ShootHostage »

Yea, but I manually copied it! I it does paste in notepad, the problem only occur in game.

Squelch
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Squelch »

Squelch wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:27 pm
Sorry, which have you tried?

The forum "copy Blueprint" button is not working for me, but using the BP in the link I gave is working. If the FactorioPrints link is still not working for you, then I apologise, and will report the forum bug separately.
Ohh my, I managed to find a BP button that is empty!

This didn't help at all.

Have you restarted Factorio to see if that resolves it?
Another suggestion is to make a backup of player-data.json found in the root folder of your factorio installation, and allow the game to create a new one with default values and try again.

Note, please do not upload your player-data to the forum as it contains your account details.

Zanthra
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zanthra »

The factorio keybind does not control the copy paste mechanics in the text box, only the copy paste of entities in the factorio world (changing that or adding a second shortcut does not change pasing in text boxes for me), but it also seems that Factorio is not using standard windows interface for copy paste in text boxes either, given that Shift + Ins (normally an alternative to Ctrl - V) won't paste text either.

To rule out the keyboard layout as any potential issues, can you try using the windows on screen keyboard to enter the Ctrl-V to paste?
Squelch wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:46 pm
If it go to that link, the select the quote option on that post, the BP is not empty.

I know that some web browsers disallow websites from interacting with the clipboard for privacy reasons. You may have to check the browser settings, and add forums.factorio.com into an allowed list to access the clipboard. Otherwise I just click the quote button and copy the blueprint text manually.

Squelch
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Squelch »

Zanthra wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:46 pm
To rule out the keyboard layout as any potential issues, can you try using the windows on screen keyboard to enter the Ctrl-V to paste?
If you read the above, that has been ruled out already, and pasting to a text editor has been proven to work.
Squelch wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:46 pm
If it go to that link, the select the quote option on that post, the BP is not empty.

I know that some web browsers disallow websites from interacting with the clipboard for privacy reasons. You may have to check the browser settings, and add forums.factorio.com into an allowed list to access the clipboard. Otherwise I just click the quote button and copy the blueprint text manually.
The Blueprint in that post did not work at the time, yet others on this forum did. Curiously, it does work now since I've taken a break.

Zanthra
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Zanthra »

Squelch wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:15 pm
Zanthra wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:46 pm
If you read the above, that has been ruled out already, and pasting to a text editor has been proven to work.
I don't believe it has. The OP has a keyboard that is not standard US language keyboard. It is QWERTY, but another language, it's not clear which one. The windows paste keybinding of Ctrl + V works out of game, but this may be due to windows recognizing a different key code as V than standard US layout would assume. Out of game, Shift + Ins is also a paste command, but in game it does not work, so the game is not relying on windows to identify the paste command, instead it has some internal keybinding evaluating Ctrl + V for paste, but it may not be correcting for the alternate layout properly. The on screen keyboard, when set to QWERTY US, should provide the standard US key codes to Factorio, avoiding any input layout issues.

PS: My expectation is it still won't work, but it is worth ruling out the possibility.
Last edited by Zanthra on Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

Squelch wrote:
The Blueprint in that post did not work at the time, yet others on this forum did. Curiously, it does work now since I've taken a break.
I fixed it, it was not empty it just had a line break in it that...broke it.

Squelch
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Squelch »

Loewchen wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:28 pm
Squelch wrote:
I fixed it, it was not empty it just had a line break in it that...broke it.
I was beginning to question my sanity. Thank you :D

That does not mean I'm not mad however....

Return to “Technical Help”