Does game able to use more than 30% of my CPU ?

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
volkoff
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Does game able to use more than 30% of my CPU ?

Post by volkoff »

Hi. After putting lot of belts FPS/UPS drops from 60 to ~40.
I undesrand that this could be a problem, but noticed that game uses only ~30% of CPU, GPU and memory

Can i force the game to use more PC resources in some way??
(Putting process into real time priority in taskmanager didnt help)
Maybe by editing some config files?

Just in case - standart report
factorio-current.log
(6.45 KiB) Downloaded 77 times
Mods: this and this
Screenshot

By the way: is there some tutorial how to analyse correctly those debug data on screenshots to undesrtand that is the problem by myself ??

Thank you !

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Does game able to use more than 30% of my CPU ?

Post by Koub »

volkoff wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:20 pm
Can i force the game to use more PC resources in some way??
Not really. The game is partially multithreaded, but still mostly single threaded (with 1.1.x version, currently in experimental build, some optimisations on belts were made, so your base should go slightly better with next version).

To help understand, your CPU has 8 cores. To get to 100% CPU, would need to use 100% of the 8 cores, but the reality is that the game uses far less.

What could help :
Overclock your memory or CPU (but on a laptop, I'm not sure it's easy or even possible).
volkoff wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:20 pm
By the way: is there some tutorial how to analyse correctly those debug data on screenshots to undesrtand that is the problem by myself ??
The important part (for your issue) is what I surrounded here :
2020-11-27 00_07_38-ttt.jpg (1920×1080).jpg
2020-11-27 00_07_38-ttt.jpg (1920×1080).jpg (63.7 KiB) Viewed 1753 times
If the number 1 is over 16 , you get below 60 UPS
Under the first line, you have the breakdown of what takes time suring the game update cycle (everything is in milliseconds).
You can see that most of the update is used for entities (inserters, assembling machines, ... the number 2 on the screenshot). If you want 60 UPS, you need less of that working. If there are parts of your base not beaconed yet, replacing assembling machines with sully beaconed setups (with 4 productivity modules in AM3 and 2 speed modules in beacons) helps reduce the number of entities.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Yoyobuae
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Yoyobuae »

At the moment there's just one thing in Factorio that can come close to using 100% of the CPU: pipes (1.3 million of them to be exact)
Screenshot_2020-11-26_21-54-24.png
Screenshot_2020-11-26_21-54-24.png (136.08 KiB) Viewed 1722 times
Screenshot_2020-11-26_19-37-02.png
Screenshot_2020-11-26_19-37-02.png (19.16 KiB) Viewed 1723 times
Screenshot_2020-11-26_19-39-04.png
Screenshot_2020-11-26_19-39-04.png (181.54 KiB) Viewed 1709 times

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Yoyobuae wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:53 am
At the moment there's just one thing in Factorio that can come close to using 100% of the CPU: pipes (1.3 million of them to be exact)
This place is full of insane people :lol:
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

There is another possible bottleneck for your performance: RAM access timing and bandwidth. This is more difficult to diagnose, because the majority of basic monitoring tools don't show it.

In order to update each entity, Factorio needs to change a lot of data across all of the game state which is in your RAM.
Loading RAM into the CPU takes time. It can take more time than the CPU is using to update the loaded data.
If your CPU is waiting for data from the RAM, it will just idle and show low activity.

Note: the overall "usage" of your RAM might still be fine, since the game state is not filling all of your RAM.

volkoff
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by volkoff »

valneq wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:13 pm
There is another possible bottleneck for your performance: RAM access timing and bandwidth. This is more difficult to diagnose, because the majority of basic monitoring tools don't show it.

In order to update each entity, Factorio needs to change a lot of data across all of the game state which is in your RAM.
Loading RAM into the CPU takes time. It can take more time than the CPU is using to update the loaded data.
If your CPU is waiting for data from the RAM, it will just idle and show low activity.

Note: the overall "usage" of your RAM might still be fine, since the game state is not filling all of your RAM.
could be. but this i could check only by changing RAM)
(easier to replace belts with trains )))

volkoff
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by volkoff »

Koub wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:15 pm
The important part (for your issue) is what I surrounded here :
thanks. now those reports much clearer for me )

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

In 1.1 there is also a new per entity time view in debug menu.
It seems to be tad strange if you enable other time options but it is basically the entity line from global times separated into various entities.

Return to “Technical Help”