Lag in Big Sur

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
manjhi
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Lag in Big Sur

Post by manjhi »

Was there any conclusion on this issue? I came back to Factorio for a rerun and it's unplayable right now on macOS Big Sur.

Xorimuth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xorimuth »

manjhi wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:19 am
Was there any conclusion on this issue? I came back to Factorio for a rerun and it's unplayable right now on macOS Big Sur.
Some macOS (or possibly but more unlikely a Factorio update) fixed this for me a long time ago.
My mods
Content: Freight Forwarding | Spidertron Patrols | Spidertron Enhancements | Power Overload
QoL: Factory Search | Remote Configuration | Module Inserter Simplified | Wire Shortcuts X | Ghost Warnings

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

Xorimuth wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:45 am
Some macOS (or possibly but more unlikely a Factorio update) fixed this for me a long time ago.
I agree that it was almost certainly macOS update that fixed it, if the issue got fixed for you.

manjhi
Inserter
Inserter

Post by manjhi »

I'm still seeing the lag. Even on the main menu where simulation is shown. I'm on macOS Big Sur 11.4.

Is there anything I can provide to help with the investigation? Or is there some workaround that I can use to make the game playable?

ganskiy
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by ganskiy »

Guys, it's not fixed.
Experiencing super lags after 5-8 minutes of playing. When game is running and CPU (or GPU or maybe battery) temperature is increasing slightly.. macOS begins to throttling CPU frequency..

Code: Select all

macOS Big Sur 11.3.1 (20E241)
16" 2019 32 ram, 6 cores, 12 threads, 512ssd, Radeon 5300M.
I use it with closed lid and 4K Dell monitor connected. I also tried without monitor - only with built-in display = the same.
But the Bootcamp Windows has no problems, I can play for hours at 4K resolution.

Before running the game:

2021-08-09 13:14:40 +0600 CPU Power notify
CPU_Scheduler_Limit = 100
CPU_Available_CPUs = 12
CPU_Speed_Limit = 100
After 12 minutes of playing (macOS big sur):

2021-08-09 13:22:10 +0600 CPU Power notify
CPU_Available_CPUs = 12
CPU_Speed_Limit = 97
After 14 minutes:

2021-08-09 13:23:53 +0600 CPU Power notify
CPU_Available_CPUs = 12
CPU_Speed_Limit = 22
Temperatures:

GPU intel: 61C
GPU Radeon: 67C
CPU: 64-66C
And the magic is when I exit the game and when the factorio process is not running anymore, macos decided to increase CPU Speed Limit, and its = 100 after minutes... So this is not about overheating or slow GPU.

:(
Last edited by ganskiy on Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

ganskiy wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:54 am
Guys, it's not fixed.
use Boot Camp?

AVee
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

So slow, imposible to play on Big Sur 11.5.2

Post by AVee »

Hey everyone!

Just discovered this game a few hours ago. Looks absolutely EPIC and exactly what I have been looking for!

Because I am "old" now, I decided to get the Demo first on Steam before spending 35$ for it, and I did well doing so...

Unfortunately, the game lags sooo much. I have a late 2016 MBP 15'. 16MB RAM, Core i7 2.9GHz CPU, the AMD Radeon 460 discrete graphics card. I thought it would be sufficient for it, but no.. Sometimes, even the game animation that plays behind the game MENU, lags.. as soon as there are more than 3 objects moving, it looks more like 3-5 FPS than anything else...

So I went on to read the forum and saw that I am not the only one. Because I really want to buy/play this game, I tried it on my Boot Camp Windows partition, and voilà ! It runs incredibly fast and smooth. Unfortunately, I am not willing to get it for Windows and boot in Boot Camp to play it.

Are there any plans in the foreseeable future to have this issue solved and actually make the game playable under Big Sur? Or are the devs less sensitive to it?

Better, has anyone found a solution lately to this problem?

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: So slow, imposible to play on Big Sur 11.5.2

Post by ptx0 »

AVee wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:25 pm
Unfortunately, I am not willing to get it for Windows and boot in Boot Camp to play it.

Are there any plans in the foreseeable future to have this issue solved and actually make the game playable under Big Sur? Or are the devs less sensitive to it?

its not the fault of Factorio, it's Apple getting rid of the OpenGL interface and forwarding everything through Metal.

it's an Apple issue and their emulation layer is subpar, you should raise this with them

Alternative to running windows in bootcamp is to run linux, as the native Factorio bin runs really well on here.

AVee
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by AVee »

Thanks for the input!

But then, how comes it works perfectly on my friend's M1 MacBook Air? Same OS version.. It seems like it is only my machine that has the issue. Could it be because of the discrete graphics?

I'll try to force it on the integrated one...

AVee
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by AVee »

Yeah, I tried the integrated graphics only, without external monitor, and it's the same. 3-5 FPS, maybe.

No technician here, just trying to thing out loud logically: I don't understand how this would be Apple's fault for pushing through metal, since it runs at billions of FPS on an M1 MacBook Air (base specs). In this case it even has to run through Rosetta 2 emulator to run on Apple Silicon.

Not trying to be the nagging guy here, just really want it to work, and I can't see why it doesn't on my config. I have quit all apps, everything non-apple is also removed from the top bar. Really no clue why it won't do more than these few FPS. :-(

ergzay
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: So slow, imposible to play on Big Sur 11.5.2

Post by ergzay »

ptx0 wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:41 pm
AVee wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:25 pm
Unfortunately, I am not willing to get it for Windows and boot in Boot Camp to play it.

its not the fault of Factorio, it's Apple getting rid of the OpenGL interface and forwarding everything through Metal.

it's an Apple issue and their emulation layer is subpar, you should raise this with them

Alternative to running windows in bootcamp is to run linux, as the native Factorio bin runs really well on here.
It is partially Factorio's fault. OpenGL is outdated now. The three formats of the world of gaming are now DirectX, Vulkan and Metal. OpenGL is abandonware by everybody. Oh and MoltenVK exists which if you target it, it layers Vulkan on top of Metal, so you can ship Vulkan for Mac (and iOS) and Vulkan works great on Windows as well.

Return to “Technical Help”