[1.0.0] Audio issue when Windows audio sample rate set above 352.8KHz

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
El_Maximo_Bango
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[1.0.0] Audio issue when Windows audio sample rate set above 352.8KHz

Post by El_Maximo_Bango »

In Windows 10 when the audio device's sample rate is set to 352.8KHz and above, the game gives an error at startup on the main menu stating "Audio Error. Could not initialize audio. Audio is disabled."

Any sample rate lower than 352.8KHz works fine and does not error.

I am using an external DAC, the Topping E30.
Attachments
factorio audio error.jpg
factorio audio error.jpg (706.07 KiB) Viewed 1675 times
factorio-current.log
(5.31 KiB) Downloaded 75 times

BTWhite
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [1.0.0] Audio issue when Windows audio sample rate set above 352.8KHz

Post by BTWhite »

I have a Topping D10s and have the same issue. I downgraded to 192k and did not get the error. Running version 1.1.19 (build 57957, win64)

bohndiggin
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by bohndiggin »

I have the same issue. It's driving me crazy lol.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Unless another developer wants to go looking into it I'm fine with saying that we only support 24 bit, 48000 Hz audio and if anything else works that's fine but we won't be looking into bug reports/issues around audio outside that setting.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Donion
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Donion »

More out of curiosity than anything else, does changing the audio backend to sdl behave differently, as in this similar topic viewtopic.php?p=566986#p566986 ?

I have no practical way of troubleshooting theses issues at the moment so I would agree with Rseding, with anything above 24b 48kHz (32b should be fine too) there are no guarantees.

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

for the record. using anything higher than 40KHz (for games or day-to-day desktop use) is pointless. the frequency should be at most, twice the highest frequency in the media played back. and humans can only hear up to 20kHz when youthful and fresh. we lose this as we grow older.

in other words, for a mature adult, 32KHz audio is likely good enough and you won't notice any difference, unless you have exceptional hearing.

what does happen is the sound driver must send audio to the device at that rate. that is why it is called the sample rate. you're going to be burning CPU just sending frames of audio to the device when the played audio doesn't even have the available resolution.

in other words, you're trying to play 44.1KHz or 48kHz audio through a 352kHz interface. this means that the audio becomes linearly interpolated, and this is unnatural. you want all of the system hardware to use the same sample rate, otherwise you've got upmixing overhead and artifacting due to the interpolation.

bottom line is, you need to change your audio device to 48KHz or 44.1KHz inside the sound device properties inside Windows.

El_Maximo_Bango
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Donion wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:05 am
More out of curiosity than anything else, does changing the audio backend to sdl behave differently, as in this similar topic viewtopic.php?p=566986#p566986 ?

I have no practical way of troubleshooting theses issues at the moment so I would agree with Rseding, with anything above 24b 48kHz (32b should be fine too) there are no guarantees.
Sorry for the late reply, I had forgotten all about this post.

As it turns out a driver update for my resolved this issue. I have no problems with audio in Factorio with any setting I set since updating the driver.

El_Maximo_Bango
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

ptx0 wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:53 pm
for the record. using anything higher than 40KHz (for games or day-to-day desktop use) is pointless. the frequency should be at most, twice the highest frequency in the media played back. and humans can only hear up to 20kHz when youthful and fresh. we lose this as we grow older.

in other words, for a mature adult, 32KHz audio is likely good enough and you won't notice any difference, unless you have exceptional hearing.

what does happen is the sound driver must send audio to the device at that rate. that is why it is called the sample rate. you're going to be burning CPU just sending frames of audio to the device when the played audio doesn't even have the available resolution.

in other words, you're trying to play 44.1KHz or 48kHz audio through a 352kHz interface. this means that the audio becomes linearly interpolated, and this is unnatural. you want all of the system hardware to use the same sample rate, otherwise you've got upmixing overhead and artifacting due to the interpolation.

bottom line is, you need to change your audio device to 48KHz or 44.1KHz inside the sound device properties inside Windows.
That makes sense, thanks for the advice. Matching the sample rate of the source sounds like obvious way to go there.

Return to “Technical Help”