Moved server; No lag, but game runs half speed.

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
kilebantick
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Moved server; No lag, but game runs half speed.

Post by kilebantick »

Hey guys.

I'm having a really unusual issue, I've searched and only found one instance like this elsewhere with no resolution found here: viewtopic.php?t=61576

I have moved my map, mods and configuration files from a low spec server to a higher one in preparation for some pretty extensive expansion.

The transfer went fine enough however I'm having a really weird issue. The game is reporting 60FPS/60UPS, or if I raise the same speed all the way up to 400UPS, however the game is clearly running at 50% speed. FPS are fine, menu/inventory speeds are the same, but everything else in the game is running half speed. All time usage statistics are under 6, I have enabled the 'multiplayer wait icon' and it is flashing almost non-stop, it's pretty much solid

I have tried the map without mods, I have tried the mods one by one, I have saved a version of the map with mods disabled ect. All the same result.

The base is fairly small, using around 20k robots, maybe 600-700SPM. I have no logic to enable/disable power circuits, there is in fact no cicuitry in the server other than to sound an alarm when a rocket is launched.

I haved wiped out all biters, stop biter expansion. Even when the base is shut down, same deal with game speed, it's like it's permanently set to 0.5, the only thing that tells me elsewise is I can push the UPS way above 400 if I change the game speed.

Has anyone experienced such an issue?

I do not have a log currently as I have reset the server multiple times trying to remedy it, however can start it up and run it to get a log if need be. I can't see anything in there indicating something is amiss though.

I am running the following mods;

Armored train (no assets from this mod currently in use)
Disco Science
Endless Resources
Instant Robot Charging
Jetpack
Leighze Uranium Logistics
LTN (no assets from this mod currently in use)
Power Armor MK3
Robot Battery Research
RPG System
Upgraded Roboports

I have tried with all of these disabled, and re-enabling them 1 by 1 with no success.

Edit: Have also tried the same map but with everything wiped off it and it's still experiencing the exact same issues.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Moved server; No lag, but game runs half speed.

Post by eradicator »

Load the game in singleplayer. If it runs fine there then the server is too slow. The 60/60 you see on *your* screen is *your* speed, not the server speed.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

kilebantick
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by kilebantick »

We loaded a base 10x the size onto the exact same server that ran flawlessly all the way up to 250% speed.

Also, on the transferred map, if I clear ALL entities using a console command, wipe the map completely, it still runs at 50% speed.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

kilebantick wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:33 am
We loaded a base 10x the size onto the exact same server that ran flawlessly all the way up to 250% speed.
So go do the obvious tests and actually find out whether it is something in the map, or something to do with the server/hosting/network.

Load the map in single player on your computer. Find out whether the map works as expected in single player.

If single player works fine, then create a multiplayer game on your computer, load the map and find out whether that works as expected.

If the map itself has problems, then upload the map somewhere and post a link to it, and maybe somebody more knowledgeable than me can take a look and work out what is wrong. (Maybe a mod did something weird at map creation time, and that persists even when the mod is removed).

Also the game supports a benchmark mode https://wiki.factorio.com/Command_line_parameters . That should allow to to test the server performance with that particular map. (I'm not sure whether the benchmark mode is available on the headless server version, but if the server can't run the game at 60 ups in benchmark mode, then it will definitely struggle to run the map in multiplayer at 60 ups. Multiplayer is more stressful than single player).

If the map appears to be ok (ie performs fine when hosted locally), then upload logs from the client and the server after a session with the issue.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

kilebantick wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:33 am

Also, on the transferred map, if I clear ALL entities using a console command, wipe the map completely, it still runs at 50% speed.
As @Zavian already said, if you want to fix your problem then you have to actually test and not complain that "other maps run fine!!11". The "size" of a factory is only indirectly related to speed, especially with mods.

How do you measure the "50% speed"? Headless servers don't display their current speed afaik. Load the thing in singleplayer and check/post the statistics (F4+F5) "show-time-usage".

If an *empty* map actually runs at 50% then do the obvious thing:

Code: Select all

/c game.speed = 1
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.

kilebantick
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by kilebantick »

I'm not going to be rude as I understand you're trying to help, but I'm not being childish and saying "Other maps run fine!!!11one!". I'm not particularly great at formatting my posts but the information is in there, I'll try to write my posts better.

To speak specifically to the "How do you know it's running at half speed?", well, it looks like someone has slowed down all of the animations to 50%. Menus, cursor movement ect is still full speed, responsive and snappy, it's just everything else that has been slowed down drastically.

To summarise:
The map is currently running a-ok on a low spec dual core server. Few lag events.

I have transferred the map and mods directly to a new server that has much higher specifications in preparation for mass expansion (also, why not have some headroom for those OP blueprint builds haha).

The map on the new server runs, according to the ingame specifications, at full speed. No dramas, however the game is clearly running at 50% speed, as if someone has set game speed to 0.5 (this isn't the case, it is 1). All time usage metrics indicates that the game is performing flawlessly. All of them.

• *The map still runs at half speed with all mods removed
    * The map still runs at half speed with any of the mods individually enabled, or in combination
    *The map still runs at half speed with all entities wiped from the map using a console command
    *The map still runs half speed (despite UPS going up) if I set gamespeed to 2, 5, 10, 100 ect. (By half speed I mean game-time and animations look to be halved
The only noticeable difference, despite a huge increase in hardware performance, between the old server and new server is that the 'old' server was Linux based and the new one is Windows based. However, hosting the map locally on my windows machine runs completely fine, no 'half speed' issues.

I have hosted an enormously large and complex map on the 'new' server with no issues, so it seems isolated specifically to my map but I have absolutely no idea what or how. Having have wiped the map of all entities completely and still experiencing the 50% speed issue I am still at a loss.

Thanks for your time and help.

I am currently recording two videos, one on each server, with time statistics enabled so I can show you guys and perhaps it can provide more information than my words can :)

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

Are your entities low on power? That would slow down "all of the animations to 50%".
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

kilebantick
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by kilebantick »

I have uploaded two videos to show the exact same map running on each server.

Here it is on the original "Old" server
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bb1SmvH ... e=youtu.be

Here it is on the new server
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJUgHR- ... e=youtu.be

As you can see the time usage on the new server indicates that it's having absolutely no issues running the map, especially in comparison to the old server, yet it's operating at pretty much half speed (and I've enabled the 'wait' icon, as you can also see it's pretty much on non-stop).

If I wipe out all of the entities on the map the new server still runs at this weird half speed state, with the wait icon still on pretty much non stop. Same with all mods removed.
Bilka wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:27 pm
Are your entities low on power? That would slow down "all of the animations to 50%".
Thanks for your reply Bilka;
With the map completely cleared using a console command (all entities, everything other than the player) it still operates in this weird 50% state.
I came across a similar mention in power state to what you were talking about so deleted all robots, roboports, turrets and accumulators to try and troubleshoot if that may have been the issue and still had the same results.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

kilebantick wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:21 pm
The map on the new server runs, according to the ingame specifications, at full speed. No dramas, however the game is clearly running at 50% speed, as if someone has set game speed to 0.5 (this isn't the case, it is 1). All time usage metrics indicates that the game is performing flawlessly. All of them.
Maybe you didn't read or understand my previous post so i'll say it again: The F4/F5 debug statistics do *NOT* show anything about the server. They show how your local "copy" of the game runs. They're meaningless if you join a multiplayer game.
kilebantick wrote:
the 'old' server was Linux based and the new one is Windows based
As far as i know there is no headless server executable for windows. Which either means the windows server is running with full graphics or running the linux executable sandboxed. Both options could be bad for performance.
kilebantick wrote:
However, hosting the map locally on my windows machine runs completely fine, no 'half speed' issues.
That is a strong indicator for a too slow server.

Your next options if you want help are: a) Run the game in singleplayer, make a picture of the F5 stats and upload that, b) upload the whole savegame (probably to a third-party hoster if it's large).
Last edited by eradicator on Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kilebantick
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by kilebantick »

eradicator wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:43 pm
kilebantick wrote:
Maybe you didn't read or understand my previous post so i'll say it again: The F4/F5 debug statistics do *NOT* show anything about the server. They show how your local "copy" of the game runs. They're meaningless if you join a multiplayer game.
kilebantick wrote:
the 'old' server was Linux based and the new one is Windows based
As far as i know there is no headless server executable for windows. Which either means the windows server is running with full graphics or running the linux executable sandboxed. Both options could be bad for performance.
kilebantick wrote:
However, hosting the map locally on my windows machine runs completely fine, no 'half speed' issues.
That is a strong indicator for a too slow server.

Your next options if you want help are: a) Run the game in singleplayer, make a picture of the F5 stats and upload that, b) upload the whole savegame (probably to a third-party hoster if it's large).
Thank you for your reply.

Here are the time usage statistics hosted in a single player on my local machine. Entity updates are sitting at 11ish which I believe is starting to get up there a little bit?

I am currently uploading a copy of the map.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

The videos are weird. The "new/slow" one shows that it uses half the time for updates (i.e. is twice as fast), which would support the theory that the game runs at half speed. The "windows" comment kinda makes me want to speculate that the "server" is vsyncing the game down to 30fps or something...

The SP screenshot shows 11, so that seems to be closer to the real value.

You can have 16.6, so 11 isn't that bad, but your mods are obscuring the total values at the top.

Does

Code: Select all

/c for _,p in pairs(game.players) do game.print(p.name) end
show any names you don't recognize? (i.e. the name of a server running with graphics...)

kilebantick
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by kilebantick »

I am trying to run the command but out of nowhere my administrative privelages aren't working and it's telling me I'm not allowed; Despite using an identical configuration.

I will try to rectify the issue with my administrative privelages to run your command.

(The Factorio Wiki also indicates that there is a headless server for Windows, unless I am misunderstanding) https://wiki.factorio.com/Multiplayer#D ... ess_server

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

kilebantick wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:07 pm
I am trying to run the command but out of nowhere my administrative privelages aren't working and it's telling me I'm not allowed; Despite using an identical configuration.
Maybe not as "identical" as you thought then ;). You can try using /sudo instead (see my signature).
kilebantick wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:07 pm
I will try to rectify the issue with my administrative privelages to run your command.

(The Factorio Wiki also indicates that there is a headless server for Windows, unless I am misunderstanding) https://wiki.factorio.com/Multiplayer#D ... ess_server
A right, you can run the standard client in headless mode on windows while linux has a seperate headless build.
Honestly the command is more of a "i have no fucking idea, maybe the server provider is doing some really weird shit". I don't think that's very likely though.

Return to “Technical Help”