[1.0.0] Win+Shift+LeftArrow Causes Computer to Lock Up

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Masev
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[1.0.0] Win+Shift+LeftArrow Causes Computer to Lock Up

Post by Masev »

In full screen mode, when using the Windows 10 hotkey Win+Shift+LeftArrow (to swap Factorio to the from the right monitor to the left monitor) the computer "freezes" or "locks up" -- that is, Factorio moves to the other monitor but then everything is frozen and non-responsive indefinitely (Factorio and other computer functions), but still shows mouse movement (movement only, clicking is ineffective). Ctrl+alt+delete is also ineffective -- only resolution seems to be a hard shut-down of the computer. The same windows hot key works without issue in every other program I've tried it in (full screen and otherwise), and the hotkey works when Factorio is not in full screen mode, but causes the computer lock-up every single time when using Factorio in full screen mode. Oddly, Win+Shift+RightArrow works fine for moving Factorio from the left monitor to the right monitor.

1. What did you do?
pressed Win+Shift+LeftArrow while Factorio is full-screen and on the right monitor (two monitor set up)

2. What happened?
Factorio moved to the left monitor and then the computer became completely frozen and non-responsive except for mouse movement

3. What did you expect to happen instead?
I expected Factorio to move to the left monitor and then to continue playing

Steps to reproduce:
1. Start Factorio in full screen mode, or switch to full screen mode while Factorio is already running, and have Factorio on the right monitor
2. At any time (as early as the loading screen, or after playing for hours), press Win+Shift+LeftArrow
3. Computer will lock up
4. Let out a deep sign, then restart your computer

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [1.0.0] Win+Shift+LeftArrow Causes Computer to Lock Up

Post by sparr »

While I am sure the Factorio devs will look into this, no program should be able to do that. That it can means there's an OS bug. You should probably report this to MS, too.

paulstelian97
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by paulstelian97 »

Tested on my own end. No such issue. Steam version of the game. Windows 10 build 19042.508 (20H2). Should be basically identical (barring cosmetic changes) from 19041.508 (2004) so try updating to that version of Windows 10.

(Although I did lag out for other reasons -- having commit charge of 19GB -- out of which some 2 were from the game -- on a 8GB of RAM system)

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

Hello, thanks for the report, however this problems seems to be isolated to your computer, as I am unable to reproduce the issue either.
If you provide factorio log, I might be able to reproduce the issue on configuration that matches yours, but as it is now, I can't help you other than saying "don't do that".

Masev
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Masev »

Wow, I updated my windows (just got prompted to this morning) and the whole thing is resolved. "don't do that" had been my working solution for months (a year maybe?) before I finally got around to reporting it. After noticing that the windows shortcut worked for other full-screen games but not Factorio I finally felt like I should report it --- and the windows update this morning fixed it!

Well thank you for responding to my bug nonetheless -- I'm glad it's resolved for me, and hopefully it's some isolated issue with my set up and whatever windows just fixed. I've attached log files just in case it's helpful -- I was able to reproduce this bug as recently as last Saturday (several times while I was writing up the bug report), and I don't think I've tried since then. Not sure if it shows in the logs (I don't know well enough to parse everything going on in there), but here they are just in case.

Thanks again!
Attachments
factorio-previous.log
(5.22 KiB) Downloaded 71 times
factorio-current.log
(5.27 KiB) Downloaded 72 times

Return to “Technical Help”