lan lag

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
trampek
Inserter
Inserter

lan lag

Post by trampek »

hello, got some problem playing on lan connection - everything works great unless we go hunt bitters - crazy lag start then , no desync tho
its unplayable at time, we just 2 players and each of us tried to host - and problem is always same - one that join other game got crazy lag (10s delay or more) , no idea what is problem , any other game we can play without issues

trampek
Inserter
Inserter

Re: lan lag

Post by trampek »

any tip on where we should look for solution to this ?

we recently tried to play together again only for build no fighting and lag is terrible , we both got great computers and good connection and can play any game but this

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

This is a performance issue, with the client being slower than the server. see 68653 for details.

trampek
Inserter
Inserter

Post by trampek »

we tried hosting on each computer and problem persist

tbh i gave up on this long ago when i made 1st post , with no answer then i thought its just as it is - factorio is not for multiplayer but since then i installed mod hall of fame (gives you some nice main menu simulations) and then it showed me multiplayer world with 500+ players at same time playing ...
my first thought was - ok mayby i got too much mods and ppl play multi without them but then i found out heavily modded multiplayer worlds on list too ...
so that got me wonder why we cant play just 2 of us when ppl can play 500 of them and not on lan and i bet most of them with worse computers that we have
and i still wonder ... to my understanding if client being slower than server , changing who host server would fix this completly but it doesnt

what am i doing wrong ?

also we both can play and host without any lag , only person not hosting is laggin, wouldnt that mean some connection problems not cpus and if there are conn problems why are they only for this game but not for any other game we play together

starlinvf
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by starlinvf »

well..... all those MP servers are actual servers. So the headless server has its UPS rate, and the Admins put a fairly large amount of effort into making sure thats its stable.

If we're thinking in purely network terms, Ethernet performance can be a major factor. Especially in the case of Wifi, low power Routers, or software firewalls getting in the middle of things. Things like "Killer networks" software also has a long history breaking games that aren't big enough to get a whitelist profile. Hard to speculate without knowing more about the setup, and what the client is actually seeing/logging.

distortions864
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by distortions864 »

There are two things that can fix this.
1: Set minimum tick latency to 1 or 2 instead of 0 (this was added specifically for lan play)
2: /c game.speed <number>

0.25 is quarter speed, 0.5 is half, 0.75 is 3/4th, 1.0 is normal.
Lower the speed, and wait a minute... see if the problem goes away.

Return to “Technical Help”