1.0.0 (MAC) CPU or GPU causing bad performance?

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
SirHannes
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

1.0.0 (MAC) CPU or GPU causing bad performance?

Post by SirHannes »

Hi,

Factorio is smooth since 15-20h. On the next day, the performance in a certain area went down (science laboratories).
After restarting the game, this area shifted to another place. Hm, why that? What happened?

Now it seems there is an huge area around my not-yet-megabase (I am beginner and slow) where the character moves like on a Pentium PC. Outside this area he walks smooth. The transition is weird, I would expect it gets smooth as soon as there are less buildings, less belts etc. But that's not the case. If I am passing by only 3 mine drillers my man starts walking like a jerk. Hm.

It makes no sense to me to continue playing this game, if my Mac can't handle any future bigger base, it would be a real pain in my .... and I don't wanna start to cry.

Do you think it's the CPU or the GPU? If CPU I am lost. If GPU I could deactivate all graphics. But I am just wondering, why Cities Skylines worked pretty well and has way more detailed graphics?

MacBookPro Late2013
2GHz Intel Core i7
8GB DDR3
Intel Iris Pro 1536MB
macOS Sierra

Best
Johannes
When I ask for features or improvements, it's because I like this game and I think, others could like it too.

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: 1.0.0 (MAC) CPU or GPU causing bad performance?

Post by valneq »

We need more information in order to help you.

Do you use any mods? What are the UPS and FPS on your system?
Can you attach a log file?

I am aware that you don't want to report a bug, but the following post contains more information regarding performance issues, and how to report them:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=68653

SirHannes
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by SirHannes »

Hi Valneq,

thank you for that helpful link! I'll check it now :)
When I ask for features or improvements, it's because I like this game and I think, others could like it too.

SirHannes
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by SirHannes »

Hi, yesterday I made four screenshots showing crowded base/ not crowded base/ train.
The framerate is dropping everywhere but not like I would expect: always in crowded areas, far more less in just some-buildings-areas.

Image Image Image Image

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

From the topic Valneq mentioned
  • log-file (https://wiki.factorio.com/Log_file)
  • Screenshot of the game with the following debug options: show-fps, show-time-usage, show-gpu-time-usage, show-multiplayer-waiting-icon, show-multiplayer-statistics. (press F4 and select those options. No additional debug settings may be activated!). In case of occasional FPS/UPS drops, include 2 screenshots: one when there are no performance problems and one when your FPS/UPS drops.
The logfile plus info from screenshots with the listed debug options will help narrow down the cause of your performance issues.

Return to “Technical Help”