Strange GPU/FPS issue

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
mdk
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Strange GPU/FPS issue

Post by mdk »

My game runs at either 30FPS when zoomed out or 60FPS when zoomed in while there appears to be plenty of CPU/GPU resources available (See attached screenshots). It also appears the game is not being rendered using the dedicated GPU and instead being rendered on the intel HD GPU.

Configuration:
Razer 2015 Laptop with GTX 970M + Intel HD 4600
Attachments
60FPS.PNG
60FPS.PNG (1.97 MiB) Viewed 599 times
30FPS.PNG
30FPS.PNG (1.68 MiB) Viewed 599 times

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Strange GPU/FPS issue

Post by posila »

While the log would tell for sure, the GeForce seems to be used, so I belive the game is running on it. The integrated GPU is used because in laptops with switchable graphics, dedicated GPU sends it's picture to integrated GPU to present it on screen. It could be that the game was rendered by GeForce, the task manager by Intel, and Intel composed them to final picture.

Anyhow, try to disable power saving options in Windows and/or Nvidia Control Panel.
You can also try to disable "Wait for V-sync" option in graphics options in the game, and you can also try to disable "Use flip presentation model" and restart the game and see if that changes anything for better or worse.

mdk
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Strange GPU/FPS issue

Post by mdk »

I had the game forced to run on the Geforce via nvidia CP and power savings were disabled. I even had the fan run at 90% to make sure it wasn't an overheating issue. None of that helped so I shut it down and went to bed.

"Use flip presentation model" was the only option I hadn't tried. Well today I can't reproduce the issue...

I'll post back when the issue comes back on whether "Use flip presentation model" has an effect.
Thanks,

Return to “Technical Help”