[v0.17.79] Factorio client stuttering with larger (?) Factory

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Red-One
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[v0.17.79] Factorio client stuttering with larger (?) Factory

Post by Red-One »

Setup:
running a local headless in an Ubuntu 18.04 VM (4 core x 12GB) running on a dell poweredge 710. It is on a different vlan than my game client (specs in log file) so I have to connect by ip:port. This is hosted for online multiplayer with some folks newer to the game and shows up in the multiplayer menu. This server has 0 mods and is a direct install from factorio's download page

The blah blah:
I've been using the same computer for years, I don't think I've played Factorio as much on any other PC. I only changed the GPU from a 970 GTX to a 1080 TI a few years ago (before the whole bitcoin bubble). I've also hosted another multiplayer in the past year on this same server, I don't specifically recall if that factory was larger or not. I did some searching around on the forums using the keyword stutter and found many hits. After going through a few pages of folks on the same version I did not find anything that felt applied to my situation so I'm making my own post.

Details:
I've been having stuttering. Most notably when using Magic Shoes (what I call the exoskeletons). With the debug menu open I see the FPS/UPS going from 60 to 59 and the wait icon (stopwatch) that is next to it flicker when doing so for every stutter. I've attached logs, screens, and if there is a good place/suggestion to host the map if necessary I can do so. Otherwise I could PM the password of the multiplayer map to a Factorio employee ;).

I have ran into laggy issues before. Years ago, a friend and I found that it seemed to be with using too much stone/concrete on the ground. Maybe that was never the case, but when played without it things were fine.

This issue "feels" like an issue I recall having previously, a super-bad train path somewhere. Bringing either the client or server to it's needs. However in my testing it "seems" to be a lot better (but still occurs) when I set all of the trains to manual and "occurs more often" when the trains are running (there are only like 4-5 trains total, 1 route each, nothing on the same route between stations), making the "take a screenshot when good" harder to try to time.

Also, there seems to be very large (my own relative assumptions) of pathfinder "steps" and "work" done per tick. You can see them in the screenshots but they can burst from <= 1 to 7/8000. That might not be relevant at all and just a coincidence. While the wait icon flashes "seem" to occur somewhat close to those spikes, it is not at the exact same time.

Thanks for your help. I tried to follow the performance reporting guidelines best I could. Let me know if I missed something.

-Red
Attachments
fiv_first_v0.17_8.03.2020.zip
(30.32 MiB) Downloaded 64 times
good_with_trains.png
good_with_trains.png (7.3 MiB) Viewed 23193 times
good_all_trains_on_manual.png
good_all_trains_on_manual.png (6.41 MiB) Viewed 23193 times
factorio-previous.log
(40.54 KiB) Downloaded 68 times
factorio-current.log
(23.62 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
bad_cutoff.png
bad_cutoff.png (629.86 KiB) Viewed 23193 times
bad.png
bad.png (6.6 MiB) Viewed 23193 times

Red-One
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [v0.17.79] Factorio client stuttering with larger (?) Factory

Post by Red-One »

I re-read the forum sticky and updated the title to include the version first, and a potentially better problem context.

Also the map was able to fit as an attachment (fiv_first[date].zip)

Things that I would note or ask.
- There are 40k+ logi-bots and 25k con-bots. Less than 1K-2K are 'working' at a given time. We did not have this problem when we had 4K bots, 8K bots, 15k bots, etc. I have no idea on how number and/or usage of these affect performance.
- top shows that when it's choppy it is using a little over 1 core (115% of 4 CPU VM). Doesn't seem to go higher. My connection is (supposedly) 60d/300u (but I'm on local LAN to the server, and it happens when I'm by myself too.
- At one point (year+ ago) I thought that concrete/stone floors caused issues with server latency/stability, is/was this the case?
- Trying to think of other things to add...

Thanks,

-Red

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

Nothing in the update times stands out, even peak times are low, from what you describe this seems to be a server issue. Maybe you just built beyond what the server can handle, but usually low server performance does not result in stuttering, just lower game speed. I'd check server cpu temps and try if hosting the game on the desktop machine removes the issue.

Red-One
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Red-One »

So one of the guys I'm playing with has an identical server (dell poweredge 710, same CPU model) although he runs unraid and factorio headless in docker and I run freenas with a VM (specs in first post) which is bhyve on Freebsd.

I "think" I might be onto something. Long story short, setting
```
sysctl net.ipv4.conf.all.rp_filter=2
```
Looks to 'perhaps' resolve my issue. I have ran into this on my LAN setup before with my multiple vlans. Basically (and my understanding is novice of this) is that my machine can connect fine by return routing of packets is problematic. The guy I was testing this with mentioned the term 'Asymmetrical Routing'. So when I change that value from 1 (default) to 2 then the response routing is corrected.

I'll do some more testing to verify because the factorio instance was running for a month+ 24/7 and to change rp_filter required to restart the service and I want to make sure it wasn't a simple service-restart that fixed it (probably not)

@Loewchen If you or anyone has more nerd details of rp_filter and how/why this might be the cause/fix that they can toss in I'd appreciate it from a learning expierence. Side note: I've also tried a couple different methods/docs online on how to make rp_filter=2 default and survive a reboot but no luck.

So I'll post back after we all play at the same time again and see if this is resolved.

-Red

Return to “Technical Help”