Crashes due to map preview

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Speedyquader
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Crashes due to map preview

Post by Speedyquader »

For the last several versions of .18(not sure which version started it, sorry), the map preview has consistently crashed in multiple different ways. Recently it's gotten to the point where even refreshing the preview twice or less will cause either the game or my PC to crash. I've been using vanilla Factorio, so it seems to either be a Factorio issue or something screwy with my drivers or Windows 10 installation. I've attached the most recent crash log, and within the past 20 minutes alone I've gotten two separate BSoD error codes: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION and KERNEL_AUTO_BOOST_INVALID_LOCK_RELEASE. Sometimes Factorio will crash with no crash report either. Some help would be much appreciated!

I'm currently using the most up to date build of Factorio .18, but as I said earlier, this has been an issue for a couple months now.
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(10.63 KiB) Downloaded 71 times

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Crashes due to map preview

Post by Loewchen »

Sounds like a hardware issue, first thing to do would be to run a memory test like: https://www.memtest.org for several hours.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

Hello, if you are getting BSoDs your PC is unstable in some way and it is not fault of any user-space application. It is either driver problem, so OS corruption or HW problem.

Given it happens during map preview generation which is fully parallelized and utilizes all CPU cores, the cause might be problem with CPU, motherboard, RAM, insufficient or faulty PSU, ... kind of anything. You may want to try to update BIOS and chipset driver, and run memtest overnight.

Anyhow, I don't know how to diagnose and fix your computer, but in the game, in Main Menu if you hold Ctrl + Alt and click on Settings, "The rest" button will apear at the bottom of the Settings menu. In "The rest" settings change "max-map-preview-threads" to 4 and confirm. Next you'll want to go to Graphics settings and change also "Max render threads" to 4 also. (4 is just guesstimate based on you indicating that you have this problem only with Factorio)

Speedyquader
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Speedyquader »

Well, I ran memtest overnight, and it turned up nothing. I'll check to see if I can update my BIOS and stuff next.

EDIT: I updated my BIOS and my motherboard drivers, and it seems to all be fixed! Thanks a bunch! :D

Return to “Technical Help”