Twitching when shooting while moving on a multiplayer map hosted by a friend [0.17.79]

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
marcypooh-san
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Twitching when shooting while moving on a multiplayer map hosted by a friend [0.17.79]

Post by marcypooh-san »

Hey,

1. I just experienced what i think is a bug because is doesn't happen in single player. I joined a friends game and shot at an attacking enemy.
2. While shooting i noticed that my character started to stutter while i was pressing space to shoot. So i tested a bit and it stutters everytime i press space or c to shoot while moving.
3. I expected it not to stutter while i press space or c to shoot while i move like in single player.

How to reproduce: Run with W A S D and press space or c multiple times.
It happens always.
Best regards

Marc
Attachments
Milan map for bug report.zip
The save of my friends map
(4.66 MiB) Downloaded 65 times
factorio-current.log
My log file
(14.29 KiB) Downloaded 67 times
Factorio 0.17.79 2020-06-08 15-24-16.mp4
The video i made of the stutter when i shoot while moving
(14.36 MiB) Downloaded 71 times

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Twitching when shooting while moving on a multiplayer map hosted by a friend [0.17.79]

Post by Loewchen »

You are leaving latency hiding when shooting, so interrupted shooting means you repeatedly switch between the latency on non latency state.

marcypooh-san
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Twitching when shooting while moving on a multiplayer map hosted by a friend [0.17.79]

Post by marcypooh-san »

What is latency hiding? Is there a way to fix that? It makes shooting with a pistol almost impossible.

ospis12
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ospis12 »

Latency hiding is a software technique to make game play better over internet connections.

When you run game in single player locally, your computer does all the calculations and send result to screen, so if you have 60 FPS, your computer has 16.(6) ms to calculate and spit out next frame, so only latency is you machine.

Now lets go to multiplayer experience.
Internet is slow, I mean not only its speed is low (~10's of Mb/s compared to your internal computer buses, which are in excess of 10's of Gb/s)
but also internet has high latency (for me around 30-35 ms to most of in country servers, and more if going international). Now your movement/building (pressing keys, changing state of game) must be send to other players, and you may want to receive response from them. That will take more then 33 ms, so more then 2 frames at 60 FPS and will make game fill sluggish/choppy/laggy.
To hide this latency your game doesn't wait for other players to respond, it just sends information to them saying something like:"I'm moving to east", and they will simulate your movement in their game.
Now when fight breaks out and your factory is under attack, or you are fighting in PvP, game can't just say "I'm shooting", and simulate this effect on other players' PCs, because every bullet you fire, every hit point you remove from bitter change game state, and this must be synchronized. This breaks illusion of zero latency and make game feel laggy.

Tl;DR
Conclusion time.
You don't want to turn of latency hiding and unfortunately this can't be fixed, cause internet is slow.
To defend I would suggest turrets, they can be simulated, cause their behavior is deterministic (is only dependent on game state, and not player's actions).

Return to “Technical Help”