Mod manager freezing with: fullscreen, HDR/SDR switching, multiple monitors.

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
slippycheeze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Mod manager freezing with: fullscreen, HDR/SDR switching, multiple monitors.

Post by slippycheeze »

G'day. This is probably going to be a pain to explain or reproduce, but:

Factorio will sometimes freeze -- or take > 30 seconds to respond -- when:
[ol]
[li] I have Factorio open fullscreen on one monitor, and
[li] I have the "mod" management GUI (install/remove) open, and
[li] I move the mouse between the Factorio monitor and the second monitor, and
[li] I scroll web content without removing focus from Factorio, and
[li] I click focus away from Factorio, and then back, and
[li] The monitor Factorio is on switches fairly quickly between HDR and SDR.
[/ol]

As far as I can tell all those things are required, which strongly suggests a race or similar in handling the way Windows 10, the desktop and desktop compositor, full-screen borderless games, and Windows 10 HDR desktop support interact.

I think that it is not actually frozen, just super-slow, because occasionally I'd see it react to, eg, `escape` by prompting to discard the uncommitted changes -- if I wandered away, or focused on searching for a bug report -- but normally it seems to just stay stuck.

As far as I can tell this only ever happens when the "mod" management GUI is open; main menu, settings, and in-game moving between the two monitors works fine. Also, having a "HDR" window open on the same screen as Factorio doesn't seem to cause this any other time, like during gameplay.

I'm just using whatever "Full Screen" in "Settings > Graphics" means, which from behaviour I infer is fullscreen-windowed. Which is nice.

I know this is a bit vague, but I can't reliably reproduce it other than (a) mod management GUI on the main menu open, and (b) doing stuff that switches back and forth between monitors, and SDR/HDR output on the one Factorio is on.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Mod manager freezing with: fullscreen, HDR/SDR switching, multiple monitors.

Post by posila »

Hello, does it happen also when you disable "Use flip presentation model" in graphics settings?

slippycheeze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Mod manager freezing with: fullscreen, HDR/SDR switching, multiple monitors.

Post by slippycheeze »

posila wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:36 am
Hello, does it happen also when you disable "Use flip presentation model" in graphics settings?
G'day. Sorry to have missed your response, but apparently I didn't get subscribed to the thread automatically. I'll change the setting and test; I came here to report that it seemed like it happened occasionally during the initial loading screen as well.

Specifically, that it would essentially "hang", but that bringing an HDR window to the front on the same monitor and then Factorio back to the front, would kick it out of the way.

Anyway, I'll turn off flip presentation now and see if I can trigger this again. It'll take a while because it doesn't hang in a repeatable way, so it'll take a little while to distinguish "fixed" from "lucky".

slippycheeze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by slippycheeze »

Quick update: I'm 99 percent certain that disabling the flip presentation model solves this, because now the monitor stays in HDR mode all the time. The Windows 10 native "adjust SDR windows for HDR display" feature is applied instead, so no mode switching.

Since that SDR/HDR monitor mode switching seems to be complicit in the problem, making that go away seems like it'll resolve any problem.

Oh, and since I didn't mention it, dxdiag for my system: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1diTq2b ... sp=sharing

Pretty boring, up-to-date NVIDIA system. Nothing special, nothing custom. Looks like I'm maybe one "NVIDIA provided stable driver" release out of date, because I see the "plz update" icon, but otherwise not "frozen in time" or anything.

slippycheeze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by slippycheeze »

After a few more hours, still zero problems, even trying hard to repro this for a little while. Again, pretty sure that because flip presentation stops the HDR/SDR switching it also stops this problem. I'm inclined to think that it is some sort of stall with that, or waiting on vsync, combined with the monitor coming and going or whatever.

slippycheeze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by slippycheeze »

By this point I can say with good confidence that the freeze only happens with the flip presentation model turned on.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

slippycheeze wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:42 pm
By this point I can say with good confidence that the freeze only happens with the flip presentation model turned on.
That's good, thanks for letting us know.

slippycheeze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by slippycheeze »

posila wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:02 am
slippycheeze wrote:
Thanks for caring! My best guess is still that the monitor mode switching led to something waiting forever, and turning off flip stops the mode switching, but either way, let me know if I can do anything more to debug. Otherwise, at least I have a solution that works well enough for now.

slippycheeze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by slippycheeze »

posila wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:02 am
slippycheeze wrote:
Unfortunately, it isn't fixed by flip presentation: two or three times I've reproduced the "hang forever" during initial loading, with flip presentation turned off. Happened using another app on the same screen; no screen mode switching involved. Always resumed just fine when I focused back to Factorio, which is an improvement over non-flip, and clearly vastly more solid.

I'm not quite ready to chalk it up to Windows randomness yet, though I wouldn't blame you for the same. Given the two different models change the behaviour this much it feels a bit like some driver / OS provided graphics layer issue. -_-

Return to “Technical Help”