Help! Problem with the replay function

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
mikehendi
Inserter
Inserter

Help! Problem with the replay function

Post by mikehendi »

Allright, I'm having a problem. I wanted to film the replay of my latest speedrun (the 3.59.58 one), but I can't play it.

I'm now in version 0.11.13, and I played on the map I created in version 0.11.8. Knowing that would cause trouble, I looked for a way to convert the map to 0.11.13 so I could play the replay after, and after some searching, I found this thread:

https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=5&t=8025

and followed the instruction. (are there other reasons why you'd want to convert an older map to a newer version other then enabling replays by the way?).

Now, back then I had saved the 0.11.8 map immediately, right at the beginning when the game is still paused, before you press the TAB key, so no keyboard input or anything had taken place at that point. I then loaded up that save in 0.11.13 and immediately saved again (still before pressing tab to start the game). After this was done the still unplayed save file listed as map version 0.11.13-0

However, when I wanted to play the replay after finishing the speedrun, it won't let me, because of the "the map was created in version 0.11.8" message. (shame on me for not actually testing that beforehand...)

Is it technically impossible to playback the replay of the run (aka deterministic stuff, different AI or whatnot), or is this just a software-matic message which stops a possible gamecrash if you try to use the replay function on maps on which you played on in different versions.

Just to clarify, not a millisecond of my speedrun whas played on a different version then 0.11.13.

If the replay is still technically possible, how can I evade that error message? Any help is greatly appreciated!

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Help! Problem with the replay function

Post by kovarex »

Well, if you continued on 0.11.13 the replay wasn't saved (You can check if there is replay.dat inside the save zip).

If it wasn't saved, there is really nothing we can do. I believe, that it is best to wait with replays until the version is stable.

mikehendi
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Help! Problem with the replay function

Post by mikehendi »

Ah, thanks for pointing that out.

There's indeed no replay.dat in the save file.

So that concludes that...

Return to “Technical Help”