Cannot save: Error while parsing __base__/campaigns/demo/description.json

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
theoctopi
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Cannot save: Error while parsing __base__/campaigns/demo/description.json

Post by theoctopi »

Hi,

this seems to be an old bug, but it's recently begun to affect me. I have 0.18.17 installed on my desktop PC, which is working fine, and also on my laptop, where the problem manifests.

If I copy across a saved game from my desktop to my laptop, I can load and play just fine. However, when I try to save on my laptop it throws up a dialogue box complaining "Error while parsing __base__/campaigns/demo/description.json" and a comment saying the file does not exist. And, indeed, that file doesn't exist (nor does the /demo folder)! I can verify that if I click 'OK' on the dialogue box then the save does succeed, although it's annoying to have to do so.

I don't know if this is relevant, but I'm pretty certain this save started out under the 0.17 release of Factorio.

Note: neither my desktop PC nor my laptop have a data/base/campaigns/demo folder and that the laptop installation is brand new (I uninstalled then re-installed from a fresh Factorio.com download).

Cheers!

IIPoliII
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Cannot save: Error while parsing __base__/campaigns/demo/description.json

Post by IIPoliII »

Hello,

Is it a custom campain / scenario because from 0.16 to 0.17 a lot changed in the code for them so it crashes :/ ?

theoctopi
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Cannot save: Error while parsing __base__/campaigns/demo/description.json

Post by theoctopi »

Hi, this is a pure vanilla game: no mods, no campaigns, etc. What is odd is that this only occurs when I copy a save file from my desktop PC to my laptop, then try to save the game after playing further on the laptop. I have completely re-installed the latest (0.18) version of the game on the laptop, but that hasn't made any difference.

Return to “Technical Help”