[0.18.6] Very recent issue with multiplayer games and presumably linked to latency hiding: visual glitches when shooting

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Zoe
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[0.18.6] Very recent issue with multiplayer games and presumably linked to latency hiding: visual glitches when shooting

Post by Zoe »

Initially posted on [Reddit](https://new.reddit.com/r/factorio/comme ... resumably/).

This seems to be an issue with public games in general now, and I'm not sure why. To be abundantly clear, "very recent" means some time in the past 24 hours. It worked fine in a session that ended half an hour ago yesterday. Beyond that, I can't be more accurate as to when this became a problem.

The person I play with also experienced the same problems on a third party public game, and so did I. Probably different games as well, so it's not linked to a specific network (unless two networks in two different countries happened to get a stroke at the exact same time, but what're the odds of that?). This also happened today. It wasn't a problem yesterday, and no changes have been made during the initial testing. The initial problems were discovered on 0.17.79, a version we've played on for a couple months without these types of problems. In an attempt to fix it, we both upgraded to 0.18.6, where the problem still exists.

Visually, [this](https://i.imgur.com/2tZ60xS.mp4) is the problem. When pressing space or c (with or without a target, but the main consequence for gameplay is when there is a target), the entire UI jumps. That isn't regular lag - I'm running at 60 FPS through the entire thing, and regular lag doesn't behave like this. This is obviously not supposed to happen, and normally doesn't. The shooting, as well as official statements saying shooting disables latency hiding, probably points to something related to the latency hiding as the issue (hence why I mentioned it in the title).

I'm not sure what caused it to trigger now. It's been fine for the past 2-3 months. I initially put the blame on my network, because it's usually the source of most the problems, but my friend reproduced it on a different network (which has about 10 times my download speed). That was, again, done with a third party public server, which means the problem likely isn't linked to a specific network. Aside the standard in-game server (starting the multiplayer server from the UI), it also happened with both the 0.17.79 dedicated server (through the public games list thingy), as well as a manual IP connect on 0.18.6 (with, most likely, the dedicated server. I didn't run this one, so I'm not entirely sure, but it wasn't started from the game UI).

There's also no reported issues with my network, and everything else works like normal. No major differences in the speed compared to what I normally get, so I doubt it's that. This is also not linked to a specific game. Tests were made on third party public games, as well as cross-referencing with older saves, back from when this was working.

Logs: https://pastebin.com/9z6uyssJ

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [0.18.6] Very recent issue with multiplayer games and presumably linked to latency hiding: visual glitches when shoo

Post by Loewchen »

Do you have these issues on all servers?
Were you shooting at something in the short clip in your post?

Zoe
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [0.18.6] Very recent issue with multiplayer games and presumably linked to latency hiding: visual glitches when shoo

Post by Zoe »

Loewchen wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:09 pm
Do you have these issues on all servers?
Were you shooting at something in the short clip in your post?
I have these issues linked to all servers, provided it isn't the server started by the game when I host it (as in "host new/saved game" from the in-game menu). I also get it on a dedicated server with 0 ping over LAN. The clip is just to show the problem itself, and it happened to go near the red research section. It's from an emerging factory (1-2 hours in), but also reproduced on a third party server with a significantly larger map size, as well as a fresh save hosted in two different ways.

Basically, the problem exists in pretty much all tested cases.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

You always leave latency hiding when shooting, there is no way around that, the difference you noticed could be that increased latency worsens the effect, your logs show it being high and spiking.

Zoe
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Zoe »

It was fine a couple days ago though. Neither of us had noticed a spike this significant before yesterday. And there's still the matter of my connection over LAN reproducing this behavior. I noticed the latency had a few jumps, but why? Possibly more importantly, why now?

Zoe
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Zoe »

still reproducing on 0.18.9. Still no idea what triggered it in the first place, but it doesn't seem to be disappearing on its own.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Zoe wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:25 am
still reproducing on 0.18.9. Still no idea what triggered it in the first place, but it doesn't seem to be disappearing on its own.
It has existed since multiplayer was first added to the game several years ago. So, you've always had it.

If you are hosting the game (multiplayer -> host game) then you are the server and your latency ends up being 0; so you won't 'see' it. If you play as not-the-server on any MP game you will always and have always had this jumping when trying to shoot.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

dog80
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dog80 »

Rseding91 wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:53 pm
Zoe wrote:
It has existed since multiplayer was first added to the game several years ago. So, you've always had it.

If you are hosting the game (multiplayer -> host game) then you are the server and your latency ends up being 0; so you won't 'see' it. If you play as not-the-server on any MP game you will always and have always had this jumping when trying to shoot.
soo it will be fixed for 1.0?

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

dog80 wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:00 pm
soo it will be fixed for 1.0?
There's nothing to fix - that's just how it is. That's how multiplayer games work. It's why you get shot behind walls sometimes in shooter games.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Zoe
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Zoe »

Rseding91 wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:53 pm
Zoe wrote:

It still appeared after it not having been a problem since I got the game. There might have been some insignificant jumping, but nothing this bad.

Return to “Technical Help”