[0.17.72] Much FPS lag, some UPS lag when next to many lamps

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Ecconia
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[0.17.72] Much FPS lag, some UPS lag when next to many lamps

Post by Ecconia »

What I did:
- I build a 7 Segment number display, which I used in some of my worlds.
No mods.

What happened:
- When the 7-Seg is turned on and the map or the player sees the lamps (or gets near them), the FPS drop from 57-60 down to 10-30. Turing the lamps off, resolves this issue.
- It does not matter which world I open, this behavior stays the same for all of my 7-Seg displays. (Total of 3 worlds used to confirm).
- It actually does not matter if the input value of the display stays 0 or constantly changes. The lag is the same.

Expected:
- Since the values in all of the gates don't change and its day anyway (brightness max), I did not expect any lag in UPS nor FPS. And if lag for some refresh rates only in FPS, not in UPS.
- I also don't expect any lag from this, since a fresh world with just this 7-Seg already causes the lag. While my laptop can handle much bigger and more complex bases.

Lamps-On (FPS/UPS 17.6/36.7)
Lamps-On (FPS/UPS 17.6/36.7)
Screenshot from 2019-10-22 23-48-44.png (1.47 MiB) Viewed 1131 times
Lamps-Off (FPS/UPS 53.7/54.8)
Lamps-Off (FPS/UPS 53.7/54.8)
Screenshot from 2019-10-22 23-48-06.png (1.64 MiB) Viewed 1131 times
Hardware:
- See logfile
- Ubuntu v18, WindowManager Xfce
- It only happens on my Laptop (Lenovo ThinkPad T460p)
- Does not occur on my Desktop Computer

Requested statistics:
Stats
Stats
Screenshot from 2019-10-23 10-22-37.png (1.86 MiB) Viewed 1131 times
Blueprint for this 7-Seg display:

~Ecconia
Attachments
0.17.72-LampLag-ExampleSave.zip
Just the 7-Seg, with lag behavior
(1.42 MiB) Downloaded 52 times
factorio-current.log
Logfile
(8.9 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
Factorio API doc is my sworn enemy who keeps me raging! One day I will delete/defeat you!

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.17.72] Much FPS lag, some UPS lag when next to many lamps

Post by posila »

Hello, thank you for taking the time to post detailed bug report and including all the information we ask for!

Sidenote: I don't know if the laptop has switchable graphics (Intel iGPU + nVidia/AMD dicrete GPU), if it does, it's not configured to use the discrete GPU and the game was launched on the iGPU.

To solve or reduce lamp-induced FPS lag, go to graphics options and set "Lights render resolution" to the lowest value (0.25)

Ecconia
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [0.17.72] Much FPS lag, some UPS lag when next to many lamps

Post by Ecconia »

Yes indeed, this helped a lot restoring some of the lost FPS.
The worst FPS I get is 45fps now, while UPS stays at almost 60 where it belongs.

And no I did not manage to properly get my GPU to run. So yes its using the internal GPU intentional. -Never had issues with that though-

*EDIT: By now I manged to fix it (for these who care, missing argument when booting - damn nvidia)

Thank you a lot~
Factorio API doc is my sworn enemy who keeps me raging! One day I will delete/defeat you!

Return to “Technical Help”