[0.17.68] Slow multiplayer performance on virutal infrastructure (personal not shared)

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
IIPoliII
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

[0.17.68] Slow multiplayer performance on virutal infrastructure (personal not shared)

Post by IIPoliII »

Morning dear devs and players around,

I am having a huge issue that's i am trying to find out i have some factorio servers and i am getting really a slow multiplayer, somehow on my other dedicated servers (not at the same place) it works correctly now i know OKAY I KNOW FFS virtual is not recommanded but i am not talking of low end shity virtual i talk about an reserved virtual server hosted by my self.

The "virtual" machine has 8 dedicated cores and 2 virtual cores, 32 gb of ram (can be more but won't be used for now) and 2X 480 gb ssd's in RAID 0, no swap.

It runs on a average 10 gbit/s connection who is really stable at 1 gb/s the ping is about 8 ms at max.

Now i am trying to run a map but it runs perfectly at 60 UPS but i am always waiting on multiplayer here is a preview https://streamable.com/3nojx

Here are the logs as well

Do you have any ideas what is the issue is it the network if yes what in the network?

Thanks Poli

Ps : I am mainly searching for more to debug
Attachments
factorioCurrent (8).log
(6.22 KiB) Downloaded 65 times

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.17.68] Slow multiplayer performance on virutal infrastructure (personal not shared)

Post by Klonan »

This is exactly what a server that can't keep up would look like

The server is a 3.1 - 3.8 GHz Xeon, with DDR3 memory,
And the base looks pretty massive, you are at 6-8 ms update time on your own PC, what are those specs?

I do not really see anything that is a bug, I will move this to technical help

IIPoliII
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [0.17.68] Slow multiplayer performance on virutal infrastructure (personal not shared)

Post by IIPoliII »

Klonan wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:13 pm
This is exactly what a server that can't keep up would look like

The server is a 3.1 - 3.8 GHz Xeon, with DDR3 memory,
And the base looks pretty massive, you are at 6-8 ms update time on your own PC, what are those specs?

I do not really see anything that is a bug, I will move this to technical help
Alright i'll give you more explnations here are the specs of both,

Code: Select all

#Host
https://poli.gg
#Host name
VLPI06
#CPU
10 cores of a Intel® Xeon® E5-2687W v2  (8 DEDICATED)
#RAM
32 Gb DDR3 1866 Mhz ECC (Expandable to 64)
#Disk
2X 460 GB SSD (RAID 0)
#Network
Full 10000 Mbps / 1100 Mo/s upload,download
#DDOS Protecion
25 TBPS (Maybe less or more)
#Subdomain
vlpi06.poli.network
Then my PC :

Processor: Intel Core X-Series I7-6850K 3.6Ghz 6 Cores 12 Threads 
RAM: Corsair Vengence 2133MHz 4 x 8Go = 32Go DDR4 
System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 
Graphics card: Asus ROG GTX 970 (the rtx is in repair)
Motherboard: AsRock X99 Taichi 
Now the problem is that the map is huge yes i confirm but the map is ran on one of my another node who is way more shiter :

I7-4770
32 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz
2*2 TB 7.2K disks in raid 1
1 gb/s uplink
as you can see it's way worse but i got really no issues i think it's really networking side but i don't know what i can get more than this little clock?

IIPoliII
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by IIPoliII »

So after a lot of talking with Klonan on discord we founded out it's the virtuisation the problem, i did some more searches and tried to consider factorio as Highly Latency sensitive app in vmware and added a lot of things like INTEL EMT, SRV/IO but still with that it isn't working the problem is not the hardware it's simply VMWare esxi it was tested on 6.7 U2, and i founded out if i turn off nearly all vm's i have less of these issues, but it isn't the solution if once i find a way to optimize it under VMWare i'll put it here !

Return to “Technical Help”