Sound Crashes Game and Computer [0.17.66]

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Bronwin
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Sound Crashes Game and Computer [0.17.66]

Post by Bronwin »

Anywhere from 5 minutes to 30 minutes of playing, the game will freeze and my computer will also lock up. Alt-Ctrl-Del, windows key, etc, will not work. The only option is to reboot using the power or reset button on the box. This latest game has mods, but it's crashed without mods as well.

I've done a lot of digging and learned that I had a legacy Sound Blaster card. There were no longer driver updates for it (Sound Blaster Recon 3Di by Creative Technology). So I uninstalled the drivers and started the game and it ran for more than 10 hours without any issues. When I rebooted my computer, Windows 10 installed drivers for the card and the game crashed and locked up my computer after a few minutes.

So I installed a "new" card, Sound Blaster Audigy Fx. The game crashed 5 to 30 minutes later, so I did more digging and learned that the drivers were no longer being put out and to use Windows 10 drivers instead. When I uninstalled the drivers, the game played for the evening without any issues, only 2 or 3 hours.

The next day (August 21), the computer automativally reinstalled drivers on boot-up and I played the game for 10 to 20 minutes and it crashed and locked up my computer. That's the date of the log that is attached to this post.

The next few days, I played Factorio using NVIDIA sound drivers through the HTMI cable using the poor quality speakers built into my monitor without any issues. At the same time, I played a few other Steam games using the sound card/drivers without any problems. This issue is only with Factorio.

I read on this form of another issue related to sound cards that could be related, although I only had one set of speakers connected, no microphone.
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=59745&p=397523&hil ... rd#p397523

I have several hundred hours over the last month on Steam games and only Factorio is crashing and locking up my computer. I ordered a newer, non-Creative sound card as well as a USB audio adapter/external sound card.

Tonight, I was able to play Factorio using the external USB sound card for a few hours without any issues. It's made by Cable Creations.

I can reinstall the sound card and play to a crash with an un-modded game if you want that kind of log.
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(5.77 KiB) Downloaded 51 times

Bronwin
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Sound Crashes Game and Computer [0.17.66]

Post by Bronwin »

Well, it's not the sound card after all. I've replaced it with the external sound and I've put in a new video card. I left Factorio since it keeps locking up my computer to play other games and gave it another shot tonight. I was able to play for about 30 minutes until it locked up my computer. This is with no mods. At this point I'm out of ideas. Something in Factorio is completely freezing my computer where no other game does.

Return to “Technical Help”