Shopping for a suitable laptop

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
C_Orlofsky
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Shopping for a suitable laptop

Post by C_Orlofsky »

I'm thinking of buying a laptop and wondering what is suitable for Factorio. Most of the laptops I've looked at had 8Gb memory, 256Gb SSD drive, and either an Intel i3, i5, or i7 (with no indication as to number of cores). I'm thinking the i3 wouldn't be powerful enough and the i7 is a little pricey for me. Would an i5 be good? Of course I'd like the largest screen size I could afford. My current price range is US$450 - US$650 ish.

Beyond the above, what other specifications do I need to consider for Factorio play?

dog80
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Shopping for a suitable laptop

Post by dog80 »

u need processor much stronk

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

1st : Single threaded performance for the CPU
2nd : enough RAM (if you can have 16, I'd advise it ofer 8). RAM is back at reasonable price after 2 years of pure hystery.
3rd : enough VRAM (for high res graphics). Not mandatory, but high res graphics are gorgeous.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

slippycheeze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by slippycheeze »

Koub wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:23 am
1st : Single threaded performance for the CPU
2nd : enough RAM (if you can have 16, I'd advise it ofer 8). RAM is back at reasonable price after 2 years of pure hystery.
3rd : enough VRAM (for high res graphics). Not mandatory, but high res graphics are gorgeous.
0st: cooling. and more cooling. laptop CPU performance is often dominated by heat problems, more than any other single factor.

Also, for CPU performance this is a good enough guide to what is what, my dear count: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

The executive summary of that will almost certainly be "Intel CPU", but a newer I3 can beat out an older I9 in the right circumstances, and mobile CPUs can be ... stranger than desktop ones for predicting performance differences.

Return to “Technical Help”