Error applying migration file when joining server

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
inick
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Error applying migration file when joining server

Post by inick »

Devs,

I'm playing on the website download identical version # that a MP is hosting on Steam. I can see his game, I can sync mods, I can download his mod config. But after the phase where the game tells the host to save, sync, and download the map to me, and catching up (everything just shy of actual gameplay) I get this error, disconnected, and can't play with this person.

See attached, is this error caused by steam vs website version of the game?
Untitled2.png
Untitled2.png (78.23 KiB) Viewed 2038 times
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(59.2 KiB) Downloaded 76 times

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: multiplayer in re: website game vs steam

Post by Loewchen »

I assume you screwed up your migration files. Either reinstall the game, or remove the files mentioned in the error messages from data/base/migrations until it works.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Error applying migration file when joining server

Post by posila »

The server is the one that should reinstall, or to validate game file integrity on Steam.

inick
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by inick »

Loewchen wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:59 am
I assume you screwed up your migration files. Either reinstall the game, or remove the files mentioned in the error messages from data/base/migrations until it works.
I had already grabbed a fresh copy off factorio.com and retried, with the same error. The host (on Steam) had just obtained the 0.56->0.58 update while we were trying to connect. The host didn't validate files or reinstall, to my knowledge. EDIT: I found two files in my folder that aren't in a fresh .58 download. One of the two files was the file mentioned in the error. Waiting to retry.
posila wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:08 am
The server is the one that should reinstall, or to validate game file integrity on Steam.
I'll try to call attention to this, but he did get another steam player to join his steam hosted game. I'm the oddball and used the website version.

Am I reading this correctly? It should be possible to cross-"platform" connect? website non-steam version and steam client platform?
TIA.

inick
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by inick »

Thank you devs, Loewchen and posila

You gave me enough info. I did get connected.

Consider this closed issue. I found two extra files in my install that weren't in a compared to fresh .58 download. One of the two was the offended named file. Deleting, and matching what's in the fresh download allowed me to connect.

Thanks friends!

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

I am sorry to mislead you with server being corrupted. Sometimes, Steam messess up update and leaves some old migration files in, and than players can't start new game, and usually they find an advice to delete their migration folder. That's what I thought happened, and I thought your friend is missing migration files; now I can see 2018-08-03_Factorio_0.17.0.lua is not actually our file.
I am glad you managed to fix it.

Return to “Technical Help”