Steam Sync - multiple save files - SOLVED

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Steam Sync - multiple save files - SOLVED

Post by zOldBulldog »

I have been successfully using Steam Sync for a long time, to allow me to switch my play between my desktop and laptop. I am familiar with the typical problems and therefore am very careful to let it complete the sync each time I exit Factorio. I rarely experience any problems, and when I do it is easy to go back to the last computer I used, save to a new file and see it sync to the other computer to give me confidence that things worked.

But today I made a mistake. Noticing that several game saves were "out of date" I updated and saved 3 of them in a single session. Of course that caused a much larger than usual sync. It worked fine syncing to Steam, but when I went to my laptop and tried to sync to it... after a looong time doing the sync, it gave me an error saying that it could not do it.

Is it successfully syncing at least one game file, so that if I keep trying it will eventually receive them all? Or is it failing them all as a block?

In other words, in the first case... should I just keep trying until it completes all the syncs, or in the second case... should I give up and do some kind of backup/restore of game files through a USB drive?

In the 2nd case, will such a thing restore Steam Sync to functioning normally so long as I sync just one file at a time?

EDIT:
I kept trying the sync as I was tying this... and got my answer. At least one game save is synced per attempt even when you get a failed error, and they do not need to be resynced. It took forever, but it eventually finished syncing all of my saves.

Return to “Technical Help”