allowing monitor to be turned off by power option?

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Spirch
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

allowing monitor to be turned off by power option?

Post by Spirch »

i'm blind or i can't seem to see where to allow the power setting of windows to turn off the monitor while playing factorio

so, where is that setting? ;)

Spirch
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: allowing monitor to be turned off by power option?

Post by Spirch »

this is under 0.17.38, under 0.16.36 it work

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

That's by design. The game tells the operating system "don't go into sleep/low power mode - I'm a game and am actively using the CPU/graphics card".

If you want your computer to go into sleep mode, exit the game first.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Spirch
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Spirch »

Rseding91 wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 11:49 pm
That's by design. The game tells the operating system "don't go into sleep/low power mode - I'm a game and am actively using the CPU/graphics card".

in single player, it should be possible to let the monitor turn off, for me for an example i left the game running, minimized for the night.

I didnt think of looking back and the screens was left ON for the night, now if i ever do that i need to manually turn off the monitor

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Spirch wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 3:47 am
Rseding91 wrote:

in single player, it should be possible to let the monitor turn off, for me for an example i left the game running, minimized for the night.

I didnt think of looking back and the screens was left ON for the night, now if i ever do that i need to manually turn off the monitor
As you should anyway. You left a game running.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Spirch
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Spirch »

i guess i wont win my argument, i just wish 0.17 was doing the same as 0.16, allowing monitor to turn off

kbk
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by kbk »

Just wanted to fill in a bug report on the monitor thing but there's this nice topic :)
Rseding91 wrote:
The game tells the operating system "don't go into sleep/low power mode - I'm a game and am actively using the CPU/graphics card".
You see, a display is still just an upgraded lamp, you don't really need it to be on when GPU or network adapter does some stuff and so the entire system is awake (there are, for example, GPU distributed computing apps like cryptominers, that follow this suite). And in Windows OS there are multiple types of power requests. Here they are:
Of those Display is ususally reserved with Factorio when it's running.

I don't know whether there are some hardware-related shortcomings you are avoiding (I mean, I can imagine that Factorio process might crash on GPU threads stutter after full system sleep/awake cycle or something like that) but I guess when for some reason user pauses and loses focus off the game window Factorio becomes much less of a media application and more of a networking application. I.e. if, say, Factorio eventually calls for Winbase-SetThreadExecutionState I guess its more natural to call that with ES_SYSTEM_REQUIRED flag instead.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

kbk wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:08 am
I guess its more natural to call that with ES_SYSTEM_REQUIRED flag instead.
You can achieve that by creating environment variable SDL_HINT_VIDEO_ALLOW_SCREENSAVER=1 SDL_VIDEO_ALLOW_SCREENSAVER=1

Return to “Technical Help”