Server hosting

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
munchkinkyle
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Server hosting

Post by munchkinkyle »

i would like to be able to host multiple servers on one PC, these servers will be running different versions and different mods on each save. does anyone know how i am supposed to configure this as what i am currently aware of is the server works by using the app-data to store the mods but that would mean that i cant have different servers running different mods

TxT
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Server hosting

Post by TxT »

I havent tried that myself yet, but you will need multiple game folders and you have to set every one to another port. Then this should work. You cant use the steam version as it stores everything in appdata, but you can download the game folder from factorio.com if you have an account

munchkinkyle
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by munchkinkyle »

Ahh that actually very helpful saying that the non steam version doesn't use the appdata folder as that should fix all my issues. if it doesn't all make sure to update

mexmer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by mexmer »

If you are on linux, you can use headless server.

If you are on windows, download zip version of factorio. And follow instructions for windows headless server on wiki or forum.

To avoid having multiple copies binary and data folder, you can use symlinks to link bin and data folder to each instance. (Yes even on windows, command for creating links on windows is called mklink and requires admin rights).

Of course if you want to run different versions of factorio, you will not use symlinks.

Each instance always needs own mods, tmp, save and config folder and configuration file.
Each instance also need to run on different port, and you need to add port exception to your firewall, and if necessary also port forwarding on your router

Mind hosting multiple instance will consume lot of ram and also cpu power.

Return to “Technical Help”