[0.17.32] High CRC update time in multiplayer

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
rlidwka
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[0.17.32] High CRC update time in multiplayer

Post by rlidwka »

We're doing a custom pvp scenario on an unlimited map completely filled with biters and mineable-wreckage.

I'm trying to debug performance issues arising, among which there is something I couldn't figure out myself: CRC update time.
crc-snip.PNG
crc-snip.PNG (73.94 KiB) Viewed 1257 times
This time usage screenshot is made on 6 hour save (link to dropbox, 66MB), map has 25052 chunks generated. Each player is on a separate force, so there're couple dozen forces created. Removing biters and mineable-wreckage (via find_entities_filtered then destroy) had some effect (shrinking map size to 35MB), but crc time is still well above 10ms.

So, questions about CRC updates:
  1. What does it do exactly? What data is being hashed?
  2. Does it in our case take so long purely because of map size, or there's something else I missed?
  3. Is there a way to disable crc checks or make them more rare (e.g. every 10 ticks instead of every 1 tick)?
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(10.21 KiB) Downloaded 86 times

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.17.32] High CRC update time in multiplayer

Post by Rseding91 »

Virtually all of the time spent calculating the CRC is going over the 3335 electric networks on the map and storing a few bytes about how much power has been used from each in the CRC.

As for why there are 3335 electric networks: you've created loads of single electric poles all around the map that have nothing connected to them - but that makes an electric network.

Remove all of those random electric poles and the CRC time will drop.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Return to “Technical Help”