[0.17.16] Insane RAM usage for modded Factorio

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
FawltyPlay
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[0.17.16] Insane RAM usage for modded Factorio

Post by FawltyPlay »

Hello,

I have put together a modpack for my game and have noticed that for my particular setup (not friends who have run the pack) I experience an immense increase in memory usage that is sustained for many minutes even after the game closes: https://i.imgur.com/GpGiixe.png

Both Resource Monitor and Task Manager don't seem to indicate that Factorio is responsible for around 8Gb of used memory: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... nknown.png

I also experience a sustained 100% disk usage as my computer attempts to make use of the page file on my secondary drive.

The memory seems to skyrocket at the "Building Prototypes..." step of launching the game, and slowly returns to normal over a period of ~20 minutes. The game itself plays fine, but renders most other applications unusable.

Fix 1 in the sticky helped reduce the memory usage very slightly, but there was still the same unaccounted for chunk of memory used up.
Fix 2 in the sticky caused the game to crash upon clicking confirm on a warning for automatic Steam update notice.
Fix 3 in the sticky produced no change.
Fix 4 in the sticky also produced no change.

Attached log is after attempting Fix 4. I am naively uninstalling mods as I go now, but am wondering if there is a better way to troubleshoot this. A zipped mod file can be found here but is rather large and fails to upload to the forum: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kj0lxfgbo3p1p ... s.rar?dl=0
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(68.33 KiB) Downloaded 77 times

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.17.16] Insane RAM usage for modded Factorio

Post by Zavian »

Might be worth trying to disable threaded-sprite-loading. (Not sure about the best way to do that in 0.17, but I think the following will work. Open Factorio's config.ini, find the line which says "; max-sprite-loading-threads=32", change it to "max-sprite-loading-threads=1". Make sure you remove the ";" at the start of the line. Save the file and load Factorio).

See viewtopic.php?f=11&t=64073&p=391083#p391113 for more info about threaded sprite loading in 0.16.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.17.16] Insane RAM usage for modded Factorio

Post by BlueTemplar »

Yup, seems to be par for the course,
I had to upgrade my RAM from 16 Go to 24 in 0.16 already
(and move to Linux, as Win7 Home didn't support more than 16 Go of RAM),
to be able to run Rampant Angels Bob with High Res Terrain Alien Biomes...
(I preferred picking Dectorio rather than Asphalt Roads though...)
And I don't even run Steam !

You'll probably have to reduce your graphic settings, remove some mods (High Res Terrain?), or buy more RAM...
(not friends who have run the pack)
This is really curious though, what kind of RAM usage and settings they have ?
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

Return to “Technical Help”