Admitedly Extreme Aspect ratios and zoom.

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
zBeeble
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Admitedly Extreme Aspect ratios and zoom.

Post by zBeeble »

I have no reference for this, other than seat-of-pants and a certain blueprint, but it seems to me that the zoom available on my gigantic 21:9 monitor is significantly less than my previous 16:9 monitor. Let me explain.

I have this standard blueprint. It is a 2-track blueprint that spans 4 large poles. I've been using it throughout factorio v16 and imported it in my first v17 playthough. I also updated my monitor from a ROG with 2560 x 1440 to an ROG with 3440 x 1440.

Before the monitor change, I could almost see the end of the blueprint and could place the blueprint when I was about 1/4 of the way across. Now I need to be halfway across the height of the screen to place it.

In fact, vertically at maximum zoom-out, it feels very cramped.

I sort-of-get that we're dealing with how much you can see. I _think_ you're saying (in code form) that zooming out any more implies that by width, my monitor is giving me an advantage. Maybe without radars (or whatnot) I should start to see fuzz on the sides ... so I can see a normal amount of vertical again ?

zBeeble
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Admitedly Extreme Aspect ratios and zoom.

Post by zBeeble »

I'm quite surprised that nobody commented. I still feel quite claustrophobic on this large monitor. When I switch to my laptop (plain-old-1080p) it seems I have more vertical view...

raenius
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by raenius »

It is because you have more vertical view on a 16:9 monitor. I have the same issue when placing larger blueprints and it's coming to a point I'd rather turn off the game than deal with this weird decision to limit the zoom level in that way.
The reasoning behind this, as far as I read, is to not give 21:9 users and advantage over 16:9 users in terms of PvP scenarios (Is there even that big of a pvp scene in factorio?). This effectively puts them in a disadvantage in all cases because they see less than others. I tried running the game in windowed mode and it just doesn't feel the same as playing full screen.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

Return to “Technical Help”