*resolved, ignore*

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
J-H
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

*resolved, ignore*

Post by J-H »

Update: My internet filter, which I hadn't even run the updater for, was the problem for some reason. Downgraded to old version. Factorio beta was a coincidence.

I have two PCs. The last thing I recall doing on Steam on either one of them was opting in to the 0.17.2 beta. I got busy with work and didn't get to try to play anything for a couple of days.

Now Steam will not successfully load on either one. It runs the Steam auto-updater, it logs me in, and then it immediately vanishes. I don't typically get to see the main Steam window at all, although I have somehow gotten it once or twice by manually clicking on game executables directly - but it only stays up for a second or so before crashing.

I have rebooted, I have run Windows update, I have updated my Internet filter, I have tried disconnecting from the internet to log in offline, I have ensured that no other programs are running, I've reinstalled Steam, and I've tried everything else I could find on Google.

So - how do I, from outside of Steam, tell it to roll back to 0.17? This was the last thing that got changed before Steam started failing, so I believe at this point that it's a likely candidate somehow.

One thing that I find odd is that when I go to Steam\Steamapps\common\ , the Factorio files appear to generally have not been modified since 2018 (\common\Factorio\bin\x64\factorio.exe has not been modified since 6/18/2018).

Here are some crash logs, selected from my last few attempts to run Steam.
appinfo_log
bootstrap_log
configstore_log
appinfo_log
Last edited by J-H on Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J-H
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: 0.17.2 killing Steam?

Post by J-H »

Minor update: Searching my HDD for factorio.exe found a file in the "downloading" Steam subfolder, along with a pdb. I am guessing that a download may have failed?

J-H
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: 0.17.2 killing Steam?

Post by J-H »

Further update: I deleted a bunch of folders modified 2/27 and later, and reinstalled Steam.
It started successfully, but showed Factorio as not installed.

Within a couple of seconds of hitting "Install" for Factorio, Steam crashed.
When I start it back up, I get the library for about a half second, with some kind of error that it's coming up empty...then it crashes.

Return to “Technical Help”