[0.16.51] Stuttering after crafting electronic circuit

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
GlowingOrb
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[0.16.51] Stuttering after crafting electronic circuit

Post by GlowingOrb »

Every 8-15 seconds factorio freezes for around 1 second. This happens irregardless of graphics setting, but strangely only after crafting the first electronic circuit

The attached zipfile contains 2 savefiles: One before crafting the circuit, one shortly after.
Also, it cotains 2 screenshots: One while not stuttering, one while stuttering and additionally the log-file.

As long as no circuit is crafted, everything is fine

edit: attachment was too big - uploaded to googledrive: https://drive.google.com/open?id=19p46f ... 8KQWHbDKMk

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.16.51] Stuttering after crafting electronic circuit

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report. The debug time information says it spent half a second doing *something* outside of normal game logic during one of the recent game ticks.

It doesn't say what though - something we don't track because normally it never takes any amount of time. When I load the save myself it works perfectly fine - no stutter - so what ever is causing it is isolated to your system.

Do you have any 3rd party programs that might be hooking into the game?
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

GlowingOrb
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by GlowingOrb »

The only idea would be steam overlay, but even disabling the overlay doesn't help much

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

GlowingOrb wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:24 pm
The only idea would be steam overlay, but even disabling the overlay doesn't help much
Sorry, there's nothing else I can do. You'll need to experiment on your end to figure out what's interfering with the Factorio process.

You're the first person I've seen in my 4 years of working on Factorio have this issue.

GlowingOrb
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by GlowingOrb »

I have just downloaded the non-steam version to check and it seems like it is actually caused by Factorios steam integration. Non-Steam version from factorio website does not have this issue

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

GlowingOrb wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:36 pm
I have just downloaded the non-steam version to check and it seems like it is actually caused by Factorios steam integration. Non-Steam version from factorio website does not have this issue
While possible, the current 0.16 "steam integration" doesn't execute any code when run in single player and only runs code on server creation if you enable "public" when you host a server. That wouldn't cause stuttering every X seconds since you can only host a server once and then it's hosted and if not hosting a server it doesn't even run steam code.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Rseding91 wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:56 am
GlowingOrb wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:36 pm
While possible, the current 0.16 "steam integration" doesn't execute any code when run in single player and only runs code on server creation if you enable "public" when you host a server. That wouldn't cause stuttering every X seconds since you can only host a server once and then it's hosted and if not hosting a server it doesn't even run steam code.
If sprites had to flip between RAM and VRAM, that would be every tick, correct?
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

GlowingOrb
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by GlowingOrb »

There must be some difference (e.g. Steam achievements ?)

I've now replace the executable in steamapps/common/factorio with the one from factorio website and it's also running fine when launching from steam (with steam overlay). So the only difference is the actual binary, while paths, config files, environment etc are all the same.

GrumpyJoe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GrumpyJoe »

couldn´t it just have been a corrupt installation and with reinstalling the non steam version, you "fixed" it?

GlowingOrb
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by GlowingOrb »

GrumpyJoe wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:11 pm
couldn´t it just have been a corrupt installation and with reinstalling the non steam version, you "fixed" it?
Very unlikely. I reinstalled the steam version several times before I created thispost (on different SSDs). To be sure, I've just renamed the exe and redownloaded via Steam - the stuttering is back. Once I replace the exe it's fixed again.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Are you using some beta version of steam? Or maybe a super outdated version of steam? Any steam 3rd party applications?

GlowingOrb
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by GlowingOrb »

Nope, just the current non-beta steam client

GlowingOrb
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by GlowingOrb »

Ok, I fxed it. The issue was caused by steam itself - I noticed that some (but not all) other games had the same issue when started from steam. Opening steam with debug console opened showed that it would try to connect a controller every few seconds and fail which would cause the freeze.

The only strange thing is why this affected factorio only after crafting the circuit .

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

GlowingOrb wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:12 am
Ok, I fxed it. The issue was caused by steam itself - I noticed that some (but not all) other games had the same issue when started from steam. Opening steam with debug console opened showed that it would try to connect a controller every few seconds and fail which would cause the freeze.

The only strange thing is why this affected factorio only after crafting the circuit .
Is there a way I can reproduce the issue on my end? I don't see any option to enable steam controller support in the settings - just configure things about the controller.

invisus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by invisus »

GlowingOrb wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:12 am

I'm curious. You mention you fixed it, and describe the problem a bit more in detail... however, you don't actually explicitly state what you did or what you changed to fix this or prevent steam from attempting to connect to a seemingly nonexistent controller.

GlowingOrb
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by GlowingOrb »

I actually had one Blutooth 8bit Snes-like controller connected via usb for charging. Steam seemingly tried to connect to this controller via blutooth, even though the controller was'nt paired with my PC any more, which lead to the issue.

edit: seemingly, I'm not the only one where Steam is acting up in such a case:

https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/ ... 837148724/

edit2: It dind't seem to matter if the actual games supported controllers or not.
I had the issue with Factorio, Resident Evil 2 remake and Endless Space 2. No issues with Stellaris and Ring of Elysium

Return to “Technical Help”