The .zip download is bigger

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
CommandMan7
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

The .zip download is bigger

Post by CommandMan7 »

Not really an issue, but it doesn't make any sense. The 64-Bit ZIP download is 146 MB and the 64-Bit EXE download is 127 MB. I'd use a self extracting .7z file format with much better compression, and even if the end user doesn't have 7-Zip on their computer. These file sizes are for the 11.1 update.

CommandMan7
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: The .zip download is bigger

Post by CommandMan7 »

Actually, I just tested the 7z file on max compression, and it still was larger than just the exe. Offering a compressed option for users doesn't make any sense, the exe seems to already be maxed out on compression.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

So use the exe version. That's why they offer you a choice.

Some people value the flexibility of a zip file more than an exe.

SilverWarior
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SilverWarior »

At this moment I can't tell you exactly why is the file for ZIP version of Factorio bigger than the EXE version since I'm at work and can't test it out.
But I gues this have to do first with the fact thatInstaller suite that was used for creating EXE version probably applies better compresion as the ZIP compression is rarely usedin Installer programs. As second it is quite possible that ZIP version wasn't comressed with best compression but probably with normal compression as it can greatly affect the time needed for creating the package.

As for the reasn why there are both ZIP and EXE versions available for download. They are not the same.
EXE version installs the game on your computer and sets it in a way htat your savegames, game settings, etc. are saved inside your user folder.
While ZIP version on the other hand is set up in a way that game stores all its settings, savegames, etc. inside the Factorio folder itself. This gives you the ability to copy the Factorio to USB stick for instance and then run on any computer without the need of instalation or copying your savegames from one computer to another. Ofcourse drawback of this is that you need to take care where you extract the Factorio becouse if you do it in one of the Windows protected folder UAC (User Account Controll) will prevent factorio from saving its settings, games, logs, etc. and could also lead to various unpredicataqble crashes especially if that specific folder is also monitored by Windows DEP (Data Execution Prevention)-

Return to “Technical Help”