Huge map and dual machine ?

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Dergonic
Inserter
Inserter

Huge map and dual machine ?

Post by Dergonic »

Hi everyone

I plan to come back to Factorio. I'm just waiting for .17 to release before starting a new map. In the meantime, I'm already planning the stuffs.
I do want to go to very large/huge map. In order to improve my UPS, I'm having an idea but nead your advices if it's a good or a bad one ;).

I do have 2 good computers home. One I7-2600k, 16Gb ram, SATA SSD running Linux (Aka "The server") and a second one I5-8600k, 32Gb ram, NvmeSSD, GTX 970 running Win10 (Aka "The desktop"). Both machine are connected with Gigabit LAN.

What would my best option be :
A/ Running a Factorio server on "The server" and playing from "The desktop"
B/ Running a local game on "The desktop"

Another question, maybe for Factorio team if they are near here : Will the "headless server" for Factorio 0.17 be released at the same time as Factorio 0.17 client ? (PS : No, I will not ask "when" :D )

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Huge map and dual machine ?

Post by Koub »

I would go for all on the desktop. Factorio is limited by the least powerful machine in network when ran across network. Your limiting factor would be your server.
[Edit] To explain : all machines, be it server or client run the full game exactly the same way. The server is only there to synchronize all this.

Headless server is part of the release. whenever 0.17 comes out, the headless will be part of it.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Dergonic
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Huge map and dual machine ?

Post by Dergonic »

Koub wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:09 pm
[Edit]all machines, be it server or client run the full game exactly the same way.
This is exactly the point I was wondering.
Thanks for both your answer !

Return to “Technical Help”