[0.16.51] Game freeze in research screen

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Ferlonas
Inserter
Inserter

[0.16.51] Game freeze in research screen

Post by Ferlonas »

Greetings,

I'm playing a (heavily modded) game of seablock with some addons.
I've had this problem for a while now: I opened the research screen and take too long to select something (no matter whether I click something or not, it happens if I stay in the screen for too long), the game will freeze (varies between 10 and 60 seconds roughly). No input will be accepted anymore. The task manager wait chain will say it's running normally.
Only fix is to kill the game and restart it. It has not yet happened outside of the research screen.

I can reproduce it 100% of the time with the same game, only the duration varies. Unfortunately I can not attach the save file, most likely due to it being too large. I hope doing it this way is acceptable: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Ef6fE ... Qg28Zn-qkj

Process monitor shows that in that very moment, some syscalls did not go through successfully. I have attached the log of process monitor (the last 8 seconds before the freeze) as CSV. I have saved the full filter in case you need it.

Whatever else information you need, I'll try to provide.

Kind regards,
Ferlonas
Attachments
freeze-procmon-details.CSV
(11.27 KiB) Downloaded 67 times
factorio-current.log
(26.92 KiB) Downloaded 73 times

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.16.51] Game freeze in research screen

Post by Rseding91 »

There doesn't appear to be anything showing a crash in the log file but based off the log it's showing that with the set of mods you're using and hte texture settings you're using it wants to use something around 4 GB of VRAM before it even reaches the main menu.

That alone makes me think your graphics card (which has 4 GB of VRAM) just can't run the game in high sprite resolution with that many mods.

Try changing sprite quality from high to normal.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Ferlonas
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Ferlonas »

Thanks. That seems to have helped. I also had to increase the page file size as Windows crashed due to no virtual memory left.

Ferlonas
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Ferlonas »

I retract my previous statement. I'll have to dig a bit deeper into the monitoring data I guess. I'll update once I find new info.

Return to “Technical Help”