Adjusting Mod Startup Settings in Headless Server

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
abg
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Adjusting Mod Startup Settings in Headless Server

Post by abg »

Title.

I know how to adjust these settings via the GUI, but since I'm now working with a headless server, I don't know how to adjust them. There is a file, Mod-Settings.dat, which I expect has what I'm looking for, but it seems to be resilient to being edited easily.

Do we have to have a third party editor to adjust startup settings on Headless servers? Is that the case?

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Adjusting Mod Startup Settings in Headless Server

Post by eradicator »

Yes mod-settings is the file you want. Used to be json before, but then a float-rounding bug happend.
One of the devs has posted a proof-of-concept editor (not tested myself) viewtopic.php?t=59851
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

abg
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by abg »

So there is no way to adjust startup settings without writing our own .dat parser, or figuring out how to use the proof-of-concept?

That is unfortunate, but thank you.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

abg wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:34 pm
So there is no way to adjust startup settings without writing our own .dat parser, or figuring out how to use the proof-of-concept?

Not tested, but I think you could probably adjust the settings on a normal (ie GUI) single player client, then just copy them across.

mexmer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by mexmer »

Zavian wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:36 pm
abg wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:34 pm

Not tested, but I think you could probably adjust the settings on a normal (ie GUI) single player client, then just copy them across.
yes, that you can do. i quite offten host saves and mod sets started on client singleplayer, then used as base for MP game in headless

trampek
Inserter
Inserter

Post by trampek »

hey i got problem with settings on my server , thing is i cant change them at all and go no idea what is it

when i start new map on single player and copy my save and mod folder to server folder its ok , i can play all nice but then when i play some and want change some settings its immposible , no matter if i load save (with changed settings in single player) or if i copy all mod folder or both , settings stay same ... seems stupid but it is how it is, cant find file where those stupid settings are located (no save file , nothing in mod folder ...)
once i got angry and deleted everything game and server and install all fresh and then it worked but since there is no real guide on how make working server and im really making it work by trial and error i dont want do it again
there is obiously something wrong with it - i reported year ago or so problem i had when i made copy of my game folder and my saves and my appdata game folder and then i reinstall game and lose all my settings even after i had all game files and for me its same story again ... where is that file with mod settings cos if it was mod settings.dat from mods folder i wouldnt lose my settings back then and i could easy copy it now

Return to “Technical Help”