[0.16.51] low fps

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
sader753
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[0.16.51] low fps

Post by sader753 »

as you can see my resource usage is low but also my fps is low too!! can some one help me with that ?
Attachments
Ekran Görüntüsü (7).png
Ekran Görüntüsü (7).png (2.79 MiB) Viewed 3446 times
Last edited by sader753 on Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.16.51]

Post by Zavian »

Most of Factorio is actually single threaded.

I suggest providing a log and other information + the screenshots requested in this thread viewtopic.php?f=7&t=51319 .

sader753
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by sader753 »

Zavian wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:36 pm
Most of Factorio is actually single threaded.

I suggest providing a log and other information + the screenshots requested in this thread viewtopic.php?f=7&t=51319 .
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(91.88 KiB) Downloaded 99 times
Ekran Görüntüsü (9).png
Ekran Görüntüsü (9).png (3.67 MiB) Viewed 3417 times

sader753
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by sader753 »

any help please ?

dog80
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.16.51] low fps

Post by dog80 »

buy a better computer

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

As I said above most of the Factorio code is single threaded (only uses a single cpu core). (There are some parts of the code that do utilise multiple cores, but much of the code is single threaded). Fully utilising one core (in your hyperthreaded i7-6700HQ) would be 12.5% in Windows task manager. 18.4% means Factorio is averaging about 1.5 cores.

There is nothing that stands out to me from the screenshot/logs. I think you have just built more entities than your computer can update 60 times per second. (The game update is taking over 37 ms per tick, most of which is the entity update step at 27ms, followed by electric network at 3.5ms).

There are probably some optimisations you can make that would help (eg replace some of those pipes with fewer underground pipes segments). Look at some of the megabase threads and/or search the forums for posts about ups optimisations.

dog80 wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:19 pm
buy a better computer
There is nothing here that suggests to me his computer is a problem. (Sure a faster desktop computer with a higher clock speed and faster ram would give higher fps/ups, but I doubt it would get to 60 fps).

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

sader753 wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:01 pm
as you can see my resource usage is low but also my fps is low too!! can some one help me with that ?
You can gen much better fps if you disable Factorissimo.

sader753
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by sader753 »

Zavian wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:15 pm
As I said above most of the Factorio code is single threaded (only uses a single cpu core). (There are some parts of the code that do utilise multiple cores, but much of the code is single threaded). Fully utilising one core (in your hyperthreaded i7-6700HQ) would be 12.5% in Windows task manager. 18.4% means Factorio is averaging about 1.5 cores.

There is nothing that stands out to me from the screenshot/logs. I think you have just built more entities than your computer can update 60 times per second. (The game update is taking over 37 ms per tick, most of which is the entity update step at 27ms, followed by electric network at 3.5ms).

There are probably some optimisations you can make that would help (eg replace some of those pipes with fewer underground pipes segments). Look at some of the megabase threads and/or search the forums for posts about ups optimisations.

dog80 wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:19 pm
buy a better computer
There is nothing here that suggests to me his computer is a problem. (Sure a faster desktop computer with a higher clock speed and faster ram would give higher fps/ups, but I doubt it would get to 60 fps).
so I need some single thread perfomance beast in order to keep expanding thxs for reply

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

sader753 wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:24 am
so I need some single thread performance beast in order to keep expanding thxs for reply
Even if you got a cpu with double the single threaded performance, that probably wouldn't double your ups. Rseding has said that much of Factorio's code is bottlenecked by memory bandwidth, so you will probably still be bottlenecked at less than 60 ups.

A better alternative is to migrate to a more ups friendly design. Eg solar + accumulators is essentially free from a ups perspective, and much more ups friendly than nuclear or boilers. Small self contained bot networks reduce the average travel distance per bot, and hence need less bots in flight which is more ups friendly than larger bot networks. Similarly reduce the number of pipe segments as much as possible. Use stack inserters and direct insertion where possible (minimising the number of inserter swings). Chests are more ups friendly than warehouses. (Note I haven't seen your savegame, so I don't know which of these suggestions, if any, will apply to your map).

My favorite example of a ups optimised design atm is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Av8DZo368Jw . 10k science/sec at roughly 60 ups.

sader753
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by sader753 »

Zavian wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:23 am
sader753 wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:24 am
so I need some single thread performance beast in order to keep expanding thxs for reply
Even if you got a cpu with double the single threaded performance, that probably wouldn't double your ups. Rseding has said that much of Factorio's code is bottlenecked by memory bandwidth, so you will probably still be bottlenecked at less than 60 ups.

A better alternative is to migrate to a more ups friendly design. Eg solar + accumulators is essentially free from a ups perspective, and much more ups friendly than nuclear or boilers. Small self contained bot networks reduce the average travel distance per bot, and hence need less bots in flight which is more ups friendly than larger bot networks. Similarly reduce the number of pipe segments as much as possible. Use stack inserters and direct insertion where possible (minimising the number of inserter swings). Chests are more ups friendly than warehouses. (Note I haven't seen your savegame, so I don't know which of these suggestions, if any, will apply to your map).

My favorite example of a ups optimised design atm is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Av8DZo368Jw . 10k science/sec at roughly 60 ups.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
here my mods and save games can you take a look ?

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

I had a quick look. (Disclaimer: I'm not familiar with all the mods you are using, especially Youki Industries, so this is all general advise. Really you should look at the video I linked earlier and/or the associated reddit post https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comme ... _megabase/ and/or download the map, and/or look at other UPS optimised megabases. I'm also not an expert on optimising for UPS).

I would focus on reducing the number of active entities (crafting machine/chem plants/refineries/inserters/pipes/labs/logistic bots/belts etc. Also replace segments of normal pipe with undergrounds, since this reduces the number of active fluidboxes).

I'd redesign the base to make more use of productivity boosting modules paired with speed beacons. This has a few beneficial effects. Firstly the productivity modules means you need less input resources to produce the same amount of output resources. Using lots of speed beacons means you can do that using less assemblers, and fewer inserters/pipes etc to support them, plus shorter average bot travel distances.

Some notes after using the VS profiler to profile factorio whilst running your base.

[*]FluidBox::update 15.15% of total CPU time. (This is why you want to minimise the number of pipes/fluid containing entities as much as possible).
[*]CraftingMachine::update 8.85% (Again minimise the number of crafting machines/chemplants/refineries etc).
[*]LogisticRobot::update 7.89% (In vanilla you typically reduce the number of active bots by reducing their average travel distances, and you do that by having small dedicated logistic networks, rather than one large network).
[*]Inserter::update 6.54% (Less assemblers means you don't need as many inserters).
[*]LogisticNetwork::findBestAvailableRobotForLogistics 3.11%
[*]Lab::update 1.88%

Return to “Technical Help”