Screen Freezes But Game Keeps Going

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Firesnail
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Screen Freezes But Game Keeps Going

Post by Firesnail »

Hello,

Ever since 0.16, I'll be playing Factorio and the screen will lock up. The game keeps going, however. I can hear the game audio and can even hear myself walking around, so it's even accepting keyboard input. What I normally have to do is tab out and watch my save game directory and wait for the next autosave, close the game and go back in. That'll buy me about another 10-15 minutes before it happens again. It caused me to have to quit playing for a while, but I want to come back and it's driving me crazy! I tried a reddit post https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comme ... ze_on_016/ . I received some ideas, but no solutions.

This very well could be something to do with my hardware, but I have almost a thousand hours into the game most of which is on this machine and this hardware. Also, it doesn't happen to any other games. I have tried updating my video card drivers and even used MSI Afterburner to turn down the GPU clock speed since I found a suggestion on the web from someone who was having a similar sounding issue. I have also played with different graphics settings to no avail.

Any ideas?

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Screen Freezes But Game Keeps Going

Post by Koub »

Hi,

First thing : you should post a logfile from when the thing happens. And then, we'll see if we find something :)
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Firesnail
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Screen Freezes But Game Keeps Going

Post by Firesnail »

Log is posted here: https://pastebin.com/Gw8cjfNF I'm currently trying out AngelBobs, but it does this if I'm running vanilla as well (except for a few QOL mods that I always keep like long reach, fat controller, etc.)

You guys are the experts, but it's worth noting that it's not like the game crashes or anything. I think that as far as the game can tell, everything is still chugging along.

Also, even though it usually happens on its own, if I alt-tab out of the game and try to come back, it will almost ALWAYS trigger a graphics freeze.

Thanks in advance!

Return to “Technical Help”