Lan-play perf issue

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
kfsone
Inserter
Inserter

Lan-play perf issue

Post by kfsone »

My wife's PC (i7-7700T 2.9G, Intel 630) plays the game fine under most conditions. 3 days ago she logged out of our home lan game and the next day Factorio was significantly slower starting up, ultra slow "Catching up..." and almost impossible to play once she entered the Lan game due to a combination of frame stutter and delayed response from the server: When it acknowledges a turn key, it can take upto several seconds for the character to turn.

CPU usage is steadily below 30%, GPU usage is below 25%, Factorio.exe is using 3.4GB of RAM but the machine has 12GB.

I killed of all unnecessary services and apps, even tried the old msconfig "cleanboot".

I tried turning on the frame profiler, but I'm not quite sure which stats to look for. Frame render is taking 7-8ms, server response time is generally only low double digits ms.

We uninstalled several mods (e.g bottleneck) to see if they were the problem. We'd just pushed a lot of bugs back and expanded a huge area of base (20x25 cells?) to scale the base up and unscrew our rail network.

Any ideas on where to focus my investigation next?

-Oliver
"Worst thing about being a game dev is the dev-mode switch when you spot a stray pixel/server lag right as your guild starts the boss fight, your team engages the enemy, or whenever it's least inconvenient. And you're dead."

kfsone
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Lan-play perf issue

Post by kfsone »

Her UPS , like mine, holds steady at 60, with the occasional flicker of 59.9. Her FPS generally hovers around 60 but dips down to 15, but the show-time-usage says render is generally 4/4.5/20 and update is 5/3/7.

I used ETW and WinDebug and even when her FPS drops to 15, CPU use doesn't go above 30% on any core and the GPU doesn't go above 40% usage.

I guess it *could* be her RAM, but it's DDR4 2400, although it's different vendors:

Code: Select all

[nutter]: PS C:\Users\quiet\Documents> Get-CimInstance Win32_PhysicalMemory | Format-Table Manufacturer,Banklabel,Config
uredclockspeed,Capacity,DeviceLocator -autosize

Manufacturer Banklabel Configuredclockspeed   Capacity DeviceLocator
------------ --------- --------------------   -------- -------------
Kingston     BANK 0                    2400 8589934592 DIMM0
Micron       BANK 2                    2400 4294967296 DIMM1
"Worst thing about being a game dev is the dev-mode switch when you spot a stray pixel/server lag right as your guild starts the boss fight, your team engages the enemy, or whenever it's least inconvenient. And you're dead."

Zanthra
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Lan-play perf issue

Post by Zanthra »

You should really post log file and screenshots which is what Loewchen was linking the other post for.

I am just guessing here, but I have seen factorio act strange in the presence of Out of Order or Dropped packets. Is the computer connected to the LAN by wireless (or the host connected by wireless), and if so can you try connecting it by wire instead?

The wireless environment can change if loads change, someone else set up a wireless network, or if you have the access point set to autochannel and it picked a worse channel.

Return to “Technical Help”