heavy fps drops on blue biters

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
dog80
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

heavy fps drops on blue biters

Post by dog80 »

when there are blue biters and lots and they attack i get EXTREME fps drops from 60 to 10 - idk if there is some kind of magic cap that makes my computer totally freak out or if this is somehow bugged - i really hope 2.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: heavy fps drops on blue biters

Post by Zavian »

Please post the screenshots and other information requested in viewtopic.php?f=7&t=51319. (Preferably screenshots during both normal play and during the fps drops).

dog80
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dog80 »

jwhefupwjnehhzf.jpg
jwhefupwjnehhzf.jpg (1.08 MiB) Viewed 1570 times
this will result in beeing unable to interact with the game for several seconds up to minutes until it is totally unable to play anymore which is really sad ^^

- but i guess because there are not much more people complaining about this that the reason for this is my pc which is unable to keep up and therefore freezing - when multiple attacks of this size happen at the same time etc...

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Yes, your UPS is dropping, meaning that your PC is simulating the game at a speed slower than normal, and presumably having trouble keeping up with the server. Presumably it's dropping FPS to try to keep UPS up. I don't know why a biter attack would cause such a big UPS hit, though; note that you can slow down the speed the server is running the game with commands such as /c game.speed = 0.8 (which will slow to 80% speed, or 48 UPS), but this will make it constantly slower for everyone and disable achievements.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

You need to understand that reading the instructions for creating a bug report does not only save everybody else's time, it would also have saved you from wasting your own time creating pointless screenshots.

dog80
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dog80 »

Loewchen wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:20 pm
You need to understand that reading the instructions for creating a bug report does not only save everybody else's time, it would also have saved you from wasting your own time creating pointless screenshots.
when it helps me to understand whats going on why is it pointless?

dog80
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dog80 »

and maybe there are bugs in the implementation of biter attacks or attacks in general causing it to be such a huge cpu load - when you have a great computer and this is no problem you will never notice that though - because at a certain time you will get to a point having not much attacks going on anymore due to artillery - but until then ...

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

I play on an 8 year old PC, so can relate to other people playing on older hardware, but regardless, sooner or later even the fastest PC reaches a point where it can't simulate everything 60 frames per second. If the client reaches that point before the server, then the client will stop drawing every frame (and fps will drop) to save cpu cycles to calculate game updates. (The client needs to calculate all the game updates otherwise that would be an instant desync, and the game will become totally unplayable if the client gets too far behind the server. For what it is worth I've played on multiplayer servers where I've ended up at 5 fps because my PC was struggling to keep up).
dog80 wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:19 am
and maybe there are bugs in the implementation of biter attacks or attacks in general causing it to be such a huge cpu load - when you have a great computer and this is no problem you will never notice that though - because at a certain time you will get to a point having not much attacks going on anymore due to artillery - but until then ...
If you actually want the devs to look at it then you need to provide the information they requested in requested in viewtopic.php?f=7&t=51319. (The same post I already linked to earlier). In particular
A performance bug report must include:
(OBLIGATORY) log-file
(OBLIGATORY) Screenshot of the game with the following debug options: show-fps, show-time-usage, show-multiplayer-waiting-icon, show-multiplayer-statistics. (press F4 and select those options. No additional debug settings may be activated!). In case of occasional FPS/UPS drops, include 2 screenshots: one when there are no performance problems and one when your FPS/UPS drops.
save-file (located in the saves folder in the Application directory).
the .ziped mod folder (when using mods)
That should provide us with detailed performance timings and other info, and let us see how close you are to struggling to keep up during normal play and much extra cpu time is being taken up being used when the biters attack. It will also let the devs do a detailed investigation if there does seem to be an unexpected issue.

Edit: In the meantime the best way to continue playing without issues is to tell the server to process less updates per second.

Code: Select all

/c game.speed = 0.8

Jap2.0 already said this
Jap2.0 wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:13 pm
Yes, your UPS is dropping, meaning that your PC is simulating the game at a speed slower than normal, and presumably having trouble keeping up with the server. Presumably it's dropping FPS to try to keep UPS up. I don't know why a biter attack would cause such a big UPS hit, though; note that you can slow down the speed the server is running the game with commands such as /c game.speed = 0.8 (which will slow to 80% speed, or 48 UPS), but this will make it constantly slower for everyone and disable achievements.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Use a mod for the speed change. That way you can adjust it as needed.

For a multiplayer game though it is important to know that once you LAG behind you can't do anything anymore. Not even turn down the speed. The game can handle a small amount LAG but when your CPU can't keep up you almost imediatly fall out of that window and any actions you send to the server are rejected because they come in to late.

Return to “Technical Help”