Weird issue when hosting a game.

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Blackbeared
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Weird issue when hosting a game.

Post by Blackbeared »

So me and a few friends are playing on a Factorio map together. I created the map and they are probably connecting to me, all is well and good. Map is running fine, they can easily connect to me. When we are done I save the map and next time I host a saved game.

When we are done however is when a problem arrises. When we play, we are on teamspeak and talking. When I'm done with the game and I close it, my internet turns to absolute garbage. Teamspeak will crash, not being able to close it and sometimes not even being able to close the process in Task manager. Chrome is as slow as it can be, simple pages like google take forever, it keeps searching for the host and eventually just give an error that it couldn't find the host.

It requires me to complete reboot my computer for it to be fixed, as far as I know atleast.

This ONLY happens when closing down Factorio after we've played multiplayer for a while. Which is kinda problematic as we wanna finish the map and perhaps make another one after, perhaps with mods.

We haven't tried hosting it on another computer, or one of my friends hosting it and I join em. But still it's kinda a weird issue.

Anyone else have experience with this or knows stuff about it ?

Thanks in advance,

Blackbeared.

Kayanor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Weird issue when hosting a game.

Post by Kayanor »

I don't know if you are playing on Steam, but if you have a slow Internet connection (less than 50 Mbps), try turning off Steam Sync as this will use your internet connection's upstream bandwidth completely, blocking off all other communitcation.

To deactivate Steam Sync, right-click Factorio in your Steam library, then click on "Properties". In the Properties window, go on the "Updates" tab where you should find the Steam Sync checkmark at the bottom.
Former moderator.

Blackbeared
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Weird issue when hosting a game.

Post by Blackbeared »

Kayanor wrote:I don't know if you are playing on Steam, but if you have a slow Internet connection (less than 50 Mbps), try turning off Steam Sync as this will use your internet connection's upstream bandwidth completely, blocking off all other communitcation.

To deactivate Steam Sync, right-click Factorio in your Steam library, then click on "Properties". In the Properties window, go on the "Updates" tab where you should find the Steam Sync checkmark at the bottom.
While my internet isn't slow, I made sure to deactive this setting to see if that fixes things. Will update once I know more !

EDIT:

So, this might have been the problem (?). Not sure, we just finished doing a few things on the map before eating, closed it down and so far.. no issues so I'll keep my eye on it, but perhaps the upload was causing major lag or something.

Return to “Technical Help”