Multi Gpu (Vram support)

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Jan11
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Multi Gpu (Vram support)

Post by Jan11 »

Hi I own a GTX 690 with 2x2gb Vram. The game only detects 2gb Vram and not 2x2gb Vram.

Is it possible to fix it? I would play the game with HR. Pls multi GPu support. It would be very nice.^^

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Multi Gpu (Vram support)

Post by Koub »

Usually, when multi-GPU-ing, the ram does not add-up for VRAM requirements : you don't have 2 GPUs with 4 GB for rach, but 2 GPUs with 2 GB each.
So for gaming purposes, you have 2 GB.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Jan11
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Jan11 »

that`s what I mean. and for factorio (high settings) I need 3 gig ram.

But I can`t play the game with high settings because the game says " you only have 2 gig Vram. Isn`t is possible that the game use the both multi Gpus each with it`s own 2gig Vram?

Thx for your help

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

It's still possible to force it to high graphics quality with less than 3GB VRAM - I'm running it fine with 2GB (though ymmv).
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Jan11
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Jan11 »

Jap2.0 wrote:It's still possible to force it to high graphics quality with less than 3GB VRAM - I'm running it fine with 2GB (though ymmv).

Okay good to know but I have no idea what "ymmv" means. But for now I think I found something in the Options " I think it means in english " Atlas Texture size" I reduced it to 4096 and the game has 60fps before it was 20 fps at max zoom out ( I don`t know why I haven`t see it further.)

Maybe I can play it. I hope it runs well if I build a big base. I`m so happy.

THX

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Sorry, "ymmv" is a random internet acronym for "your mileage may vary" - in other words, it works for me but I don't know that it will necessarily work for you.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Jan11 wrote:Isn`t is possible that the game use the both multi Gpus each with it`s own 2gig Vram?
Sorry, it's not the game's choice, it's the GPU drivers' choice. And I think multi-GPU just don't do that.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Koub wrote:
Jan11 wrote:Isn`t is possible that the game use the both multi Gpus each with it`s own 2gig Vram?
Sorry, it's not the game's choice, it's the GPU drivers' choice. And I think multi-GPU just don't do that.
It's not the driver. It's the physical layout of the card. Cards with more than one core behave similar to 2 different cards on the same board connected with SLI. That means GPU_1 has no access to VRAM_2, because VRAM_2 belongs to GPU_2. Even if there was some access, it just wouldn't be fast enough.
It's like soldering two cars together and demanding that now that they're "one" the fuel/engine/steering from one car should magically be shared with the other.
If stacking gpus like that worked well, every card would do it. But it doesn't, as you can see on the market ;).
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

If I remember correctly, when DX12 was announced, it was said it would support shared memory pooling. I'm not aware it has been done, but it might be theoretically possible. I'm not expert enough to tell so. And if it is, then I guess the drivers could allow this if designed so (like let the user choose between 4 GB VRAM used with a single GPU and 2 GPU with 2 GB VRAM Each. I think performance would be poor though.
I admit I might be totally wrong too :)

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Koub wrote:If I remember correctly, when DX12 was announced, it was said it would support shared memory pooling. I'm not aware it has been done, but it might be theoretically possible. I'm not expert enough to tell so. And if it is, then I guess the drivers could allow this if designed so (like let the user choose between 4 GB VRAM used with a single GPU and 2 GPU with 2 GB VRAM Each. I think performance would be poor though.
I admit I might be totally wrong too :)
Even if DX12 supported that (i have no clue about that) the physical layout of the card still has to support it. VRAM needs a very fast connection to the GPU chip, and having that connection to two chips at once would be a big challenge during chip design i believe, and at the very least require a completely different design, that old cards simply don't have.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.

Jan11
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Jan11 »

Thx for all your help.

I haven`t the issue anymore, because I reduced the "Atlas texture size" to 4096 and the game has now stable 60fps before it was 20 fps at max zoom out.

I changed so much "less Vram settings etc" but I read the description "Atlas texture size" description wrong (more is better for less Vram)^^ now it`s okay and I can play the game with 2gb Vram and high resolution settings

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Jan11 wrote:I changed so much "less Vram settings etc" but I read the description "Atlas texture size" description wrong (more is better for less Vram)^^ now it`s okay and I can play the game with 2gb Vram and high resolution settings
But only until you start playing mods with huge textures. I only have 2GB myself :p.
Have fun.

Return to “Technical Help”