Laptop question

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Rizzano
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Laptop question

Post by Rizzano »

Not by choice, but I am on a chromebook 16GB HDD 2GB RAM Linux laptop with onboard graphics. It can run Factorio fine for now, but my base is not that big, I am up to blue science packs. I worry about my future playthrough as my base expands and grows because I have seen some images of megabases and people talk about their powerful computers having trouble with said megabase, so my question is is my laptop gonna hold up as my base expands?

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Laptop question

Post by Zavian »

You don't need a megabase to launch a rocket and win the game, so if your laptop is coping atm, then it will probably cope to launch a rocket, provided you don't expand more than necessary. For me, factorio with normal res graphics uses about 2GB of ram at the time I'm launching my first rocket, so 2GB of ram might become a problem. I suggest not exploring more territory than necessary, and don't try to build a megabase. So no radars on the outskirts of your base, and no artillery, because both will cause the game to generate new chunks and increase memory load.

(Note that at the time I'm launching my first rocket my base is probably producing about 45-90 of each science flask/minute. A megabase typically produces at least 1000 of each science flask/minute, and depending on their computer and base design people typically have performance problems at around 4000-10,000 flasks/minute. Not sure what cpu you have, but your cpu will probably be fine for a standard belt based 45 flask/minute base.

Return to “Technical Help”