One possible fix for jerky screen movement

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
DingoPD
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

One possible fix for jerky screen movement

Post by DingoPD »

Long story short ...

If the monitor refresh rate is higher than 60hz, the game will appear to be jerky while moving.

Couple months back i got a new shiny monitor, so naturally first thing i did is overclock it a bit, just from 60hz to 70hz. It worked fine so i left it that way. Then about a week ago, i came back to factorio for the first time since i got the monitor, i loaded up my old save and game was really jerky while i was moving. I couldn't figure out what was going on, at first i thought it was the save, large base, lot of moving bits, so i started a new game, and it was the same thing - any time i moved, everything got really jerky. I look in the task manager, and the machine is using 7% CPU and about 10% gpu while running around in fresh game, it might as well be idling. I fiddled with the game settings for a while, disabling one item at a time and restarting the game. Updated the video card drivers, played around with core parking, nothing had any impact, the machine is plenty fast to drive the game at 3840x2160, and the game itself is well optimized, new game or large base, it made no difference. Then i remembered reading somewhere about how the game is rendered, and why the fps doesn't go over 60. So i dumped the monitor overclock, and everything is butter smooth again. I guess faster is not always better :)

Hopefully this will save someone a bit of time :)

Hardware:
Monitor: Asus MG28U @ 3840x2160
GPU: 1080gtx
Efficiency is just highly developed form of laziness.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: One possible fix for jerky screen movement

Post by Koub »

DingoPD wrote:Couple months back i got a new shiny monitor, so naturally first thing i did is overclock it a bit, just from 60hz to 70hz.
Just wondering ... what's the use of such a thing ? I mean I can understand why one would overclock the CPU, RAM, GPU, but ... the monitor ?
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Zanthra
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: One possible fix for jerky screen movement

Post by Zanthra »

The jerkiness makes sense. The game is rendering at 60FPS to a 70hz display, then 1 in 6 frames is displayed twice. When you have frame times (in milliseconds) of 14, 14, 14, 14, 14, 28, 14, 14, 14, 14, 14, 28, it can lead to a jerk as the display seems to pause and start up again.

As for why to overclock, many 60hz monitors have electronics capable of higher frequency. 60hz was popularized by it's use in NTSC countries (in the early black and white TV days) in TV systems and studios could use the 60hz AC power grid as a sync reference inside and between different equipment. From television it became widely used CRT baseline frequency and was therefore picked up as an unofficial standard for LCD monitors as they replaced CRTs. There does not tend to be a huge amount of pressure for monitor manufacturers to support higher frequencies outside of gaming, but many monitors have electronics capable of handling and displaying signals faster than 60hz even if they are not tested or sold for those higher refresh rates. Overclocking the monitor can let you get smoother graphics from a particular monitor. Very similar to how one could get more performance from overclocking a CPU or GPU.

Return to “Technical Help”