[0.16.51] Stuttering

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
GISam
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[0.16.51] Stuttering

Post by GISam »

The game has been playing perfectly until this weekend and now I'm experiencing stuttering. When walking its smooth for about 10-12 seconds then it stutters for 2-3 seconds then smooths out only to repeat it in another 10-12 seconds. I'm getting a solid 60/60 FPS/UPS on my i7-6700K/GTX-1070 and it doesn't matter what map/save/tutorial I load it stutters on all of them. I don't have any recent windows 10 updates or new program installs since last week other than virus def's. I validated the files in Steam, updated to the latest GFX driver, and ran CCleaner on the Reg and the issue is still there. Log is attached.

Do I need to do a re-install?
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(4.95 KiB) Downloaded 85 times

GISam
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [0.16.51] Stuttering

Post by GISam »

Loewchen wrote:Follow: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=51319
Not sure what else your looking for Loewchen...

I attached the log file.
FPS/UPS are rock stead at 60/60.
Map doesn't matter...it does it even on the tutorials.
No mods installed.
A screenshot doesn't show stuttering.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

GISam wrote:
Loewchen wrote:Follow: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=51319
Not sure what else your looking for Loewchen...

I attached the log file.
FPS/UPS are rock stead at 60/60.
Map doesn't matter...it does it even on the tutorials.
No mods installed.
A screenshot doesn't show stuttering.
Can you please post screenshots with show-time-usage enabled from the debug menu both while you have and don't have stuttering?
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

GISam
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by GISam »

Thanks for the clarification Jap2.0

2 screenshots attached with time usage enabled.
Attachments
No Stuttering.png
No Stuttering.png (2.98 MiB) Viewed 2696 times
Stuttering.png
Stuttering.png (2.74 MiB) Viewed 2696 times

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

Multiplayer game? Any chance what you are interpreting as stuttering is just uneven network latency? (Also Factorio includes some latency hiding code, but there are situations where it isn't used and the switch from latency being hidden to latency being experienced can be noticable. (Combat, vehicles and crossing train lines come to mind).

Another possibility is some other program using most of your cpu at times, meaning that factorio is sometimes waiting for a chance to run. Running short of free ram, causing windows to swap can also cause noticeable stuttering.

GISam
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by GISam »

Thanks for the reply Zavian.

Its a single player game.
CPU usage is 6%-7% average
Ram usage is 7.6GB...24% of the 32GB on my system.

It has me puzzled because it just started and it repeats (stutters for 2-3 seconds then smooth for 10-12 seconds then back to stutter). I thought it was because I was in a busy area but it does it where there is only concrete. I even moved it from an older 120GB SSD to my newer 500GB SSD thinking the 120 was starting to go bad but it made no difference.

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Zavian »

Ok. The line CRC:... is normally 0 in a single player game. So that makes it look like the screenshots are from a multiplayer game.

Other than what I have posted, I'm out of ideas

GISam
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by GISam »

I reset Windows 10 on my system and after re-installing Factorio it was still stuttering. After some more digging and trying a few things that didn't work I finally rolled back the Nvidia Geforce driver to 388.71 from December 2017 and it quit stuttering. Windows 10 is great for resetting your system but it does keep some drivers which isn't a good thing if they are causing issues.

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by zOldBulldog »

I was wondering. A similar thing happened to me on my laptop but not on my desktop for a couple days and then the problem disappeared. Both are Nvidia machines. A bad driver patch could explain it.

Return to “Technical Help”